SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Have any of you tried growing these unusual fruits?

castorp
16 years ago

I'm considering planting some fruit trees--and reading a very dangerous book entitled "Florida's Best Fruiting Plants" which I heard about from you all here.

Some of the trees that the author says will thrive in my area are:

chinese jujubes

oriental persimmons

capulin (a type of subtropical true cherry)

Have any of you tried growing any of these? How'd they do for you? Can you recommend other fruit trees that will do well on the 9a/9b border?

I'm also curious about grafted loquats. I've only tried the regular wild ones growing around here. I'm wondering if having a named variety makes a real difference.

I'm wondering too about a selection of the chickasaw plum called "Guthrie" which the author and also a native plant catalogue claims has good fruit quality. Anybody tried it?

I'm already growing figs (in a pot) and mulberries and blueberries (thanks to Tony) and some dwarf citrus. I hope to order lots of cuttings and starts from UC-Davis and affiliates in the fall for fruiting shrubs and vines. But selecting the trees is more difficult. I have no idea what any of them taste like (except the persimmons) or where i can taste them. In the case of the capulin, I don't know where to buy named cultivars. So I thought I'd post.

Thanks!

Bill

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals