SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

millipede warning

KaraLynn
10 years ago

Yesterday I discovered one of those giant millipedes crawling across my bedroom floor and my only thought was that my kitten Tavi found it in the garage and brought it inside to play with. I scooped the thing up with some toilet paper and flushed it down the toilet. Later in the day Tavi threw up twice and refused to eat. This morning she had a thick mucus around her mouth and a foul odor coming from her. I took her to the vet where it was discovered that she had gotten ahold of something caustic and now had infected ulcers all over her tongue. After a shot of antibotics, fluids under her skin, and some liquid food she is now doing a bit better. After doing some research about millipedes I've discovered that when threatened some species spray hydrocloric acid which is the most likely reason why Tavi's tongue is in the shape it's currently in.

If anyone else finds their animals messing around with giant millipedes make sure to get it away from them immediately and it's probably not a good idea to handle them barehanded yourself either. Just wanted to share this info as a precaution.

Kara

Comments (10)