SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Question about mincemeat ingredients

pqtex
11 years ago

I am looking at the Brandied Mincemeat recipe adaptation that Readinglady posted a while back. It sounds delicious, and it sounds better than the original in the Ball Blue Book. Her version includes doubling apples and pears, reducing the sugar, and using citrus zest and juice instead of ground citrus.

After searching all of my canning books for recipes, I see a big variety of dried fruits used and get the sense that the measurement precision required in other recipes is less rigid with the mix of the fruits in mincemeat. Am I wrong about this? How much leeway can I have with the mix and proportion of the dried and fresh fruits? What other fruit is acceptable in mincemeat?

I have a can of sweet cherries that could be added, and I have fresh figs available, also. Do I need to add more orange or lemon juice with any of these additions?

I've also noticed that some mincemeat recipes call for apple cider vinegar, but this one calls for apple cider (or apple juice). Does this affect the safety of the recipe if the fruit proportions are changed any?

I'm trying to use up the rest of my good pears. Is it feasible (and safe) to add even more fresh pears?

I was surprised to see that Cloves weren't included in the spices. I thought that was a big part of the mincemeat flavor. I know it's safe to add, but wondering at the exclusion.

I found a delightful, delicate pear liqueur to substitute for the brandy and sherry. Cheaper, too.

I'm not one to mess with approved canning recipes, but this just seems like a recipe that has some leeway. Please, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks,

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: mincemeat recipe adaptation

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor