SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicki_gw

Pictures of my grass-free garden

Nicki
16 years ago

This is in the spirit of HOAs and having an unconventional front yard... since we've had a few threads about them lately. When I moved into my house almost nine years ago, I thought I was safe since my neighborhood didn't have a HOA... but alas, some of you may know me as the "illegal gardener" from my posts about my run-in with the City Code Enforcer about "excessive horitcultural overgrowth" a while back. All's quiet with the good City of Leesburg lately, but I thought I'd post pictures of a real life law-breaking garden! One without, gasp, a lawn!

My garden only gets watered twice a week, and that's if it hasn't rained. We've been lucking out for the past few weeks. I've only watered once in two weeks. I know folks with perfectly manicured green St Augustine lawns can't say that! I fertilize with alfalfa tea and fish emulsion when I think about it. I try to remember to deadhead, but in this heat, I admit, I tend to limit my gardening to gazing out my studio window. ;-) So what I'm saying is, not much fuss, not much water, but it sure brings lots of smiles. Can you say that for a, yawn, I mean, lawn...? No. You can't.

So, I'm thumbing my nose at lawns! Taunting them! Daring them to go weeks without supplimental watering!

This summer, the orange tithonias are stealing the show, but the tall rudbeckia laciniatas are equally obnoxious. ;-) Hope you enjoy!

Here's my view from my studio...

The view from the street...

Some of the local "wildlife" strolling down the walkway...

The East side of the front yard...

I've put a link to more photos from June below (from my photobucket account). Click on my name at the top to see even more pictures - especially if you like Halloween... it's only four months away!

Happy gardening! Or in my case, happy gazing at your garden through the windows of your air conditioned house!

Nicki

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos...

Comments (30)