SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

Can you store filled canning jars on an angle?

kterlep
14 years ago

Hi -

Our 120 year old home has a small laundry room right off the kitchen. It is long and narrow and there is a lot of extra space in the far end of the laundry room, where we have our small chest freezer in an alcove.

Deciding I was going to turn the laundry room into a laundry/pantry, I ripped down the wallpaper and laughed when I saw the old marks from shelving all around the room where I was planning to put shelves. :)

But my question to you is this:

The alcove that my chest freezer is in is 3' wide and 4' deep (and 11' tall). This would be a great place to store canning jars, above the chest freezer, except it's a 3' wide and 4' deep space and the lowest shelves would be about 5' off the floor. :)

I was wondering if I could set the shelves at a slight angle so I could put all the jars of one thing in a row from front to back, and when the front one was taken, the rest would slide forward. Of course there would need to be a "stopper" in the front to keep them from crashing on the floor. (top shelves would just be for empty jars)

If that is a bad idea, can you suggest some other solution that takes advantage of the whole 4' depth considering the height?

Thanks!

Comments (8)