SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apoem

Mustard Pickles, Questions

apoem
16 years ago

ReadingLady back in 06 posted this message about mustard pickles with recipe. I ran across it and the debate about using flour not to long ago and decided to try it. (Recipe posted below)

And now questions: (as always for me right?)

I can use other veggies right? What about broccoli? Carrots? What about more cucumbers and leave out the green tomatoes?

And what was the final consensus? Is using flour safe or is there something else I can use? There never was a final Linda Lou weigh in on this thread. I was thinking of using this as gifts for Christmas and would like to be sure it's OK safe.

And final question, did anyone make this (ReadingLady/Carol?) Was it great?

Two-Day Mustard Pickles

Yield: 5-6 Quarts

1 head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 quarts) broken into flowerets

1 quart small white onions, peeled

1 quart small cucumbers, sliced

1 quart small green tomatoes

2 large green peppers, chopped and seeded (2 cups)

2 large sweet red peppers, chopped and seeded (2 cups)

3 quarts cold water

1/2 cup pickling salt

2 quarts cider vinegar

1 1/2 cups light brown sugar

2/3 cup flour

6 tablespoons prepared mustard

2 tablespoons turmeric

First Day: Prep vegetables, place in a large bowl and cover with a brine made of the water and salt. Cover and let sit for 24 hours.

Second Day: Drain salt solution, catching vegetables in a colander and solution in a saucepan. Heat solution to voiling and pour over the vegetables in the colander. Let vegetables drain; discard salt solution.

Combine vinegar, brown sugar, flour, mustard and turmeric. Stir, then heat gradually, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and smooth. Add drained vegetables and cook gently until tender but still retain individuality. Stir with heavy wooden spoon to prevent scorching.

Pack into clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Process BWB 15 minutes (20 minutes 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet).

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0808341028310.html

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor