SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

I forgot strawberries were such a pain!

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

For the first time since 1997 I managed to get my act together and find a U-pick place in my general area, and get some strawberries picked! However, I was running on a very old memory and thought I needed 7 quarts for jam. Actually, I think the last recipe I used was for 7 cups! So I picked 12 lbs.! My experience with strawberries has been mixed. I've used the standard recipe on the powdered sure jell pectin box, but I don't like that kind of jam, too much sugar, the fruit taste gets lost to my palate.

So what to do to get a good strawberry jam? I picked some underripe fruit but I think I also picked some overripe fruit, lol! I was picking by myself on the way home from work and just wanted to get down the row. I did search the forum and read the discussions from last year, but I think it's a topic worth revisiting. My canning books have various techniques listed for making the strawberry jam, from just a straightforward chop, add sugar, cook, can, to an overnight sit in sugar syrup, ad ins like apples for pectin or rhubarb. Last time I made strawberry jam I overcooked it and it was more like strawberry butter. I'm not much for freezer jam due to space issues. What are your best strawberry jam techniques?

I'm probably going to have to freeze some of these babies. So do I just douse them with a little sugar and put them in freezer bags? Do I need to use sugar?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lpink

Comments (13)