SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mph101

No more passionflower, dutchman pipe,,,or milkweed

MPH101
13 years ago

I really enjoy both of these types of vines. Not only for the flowers & the foliage but as butterfly attractors.

Over the years I tried to increase my collection of passionflowers as many do pretty well at my dry, dune coastal location with regards to drought.

The constant problem of course are the caterpillars so its a catch 22. Never have I been able to leave the plants without spraying BT or a chemical on them to keep the number of caterpillars at bay.

I read the post from butterfly gardeners which state how the plants adopt to the constant loss of foliage and recover.

I find this to be far from the truth.

Growing about 8 Aristolochia species is the same thing with swallowtails. Some species of Aristolochia the caterpillars cannot feed or they will die. But that doesn't stop mother swallowtail from dumping eggs on these plants either. The caterpillars hatch and eat until they die yet the plant is a wreck.

I did not spray any passionflowers or aristolochia this year. They are now all dead, weakened from continually being defoliated. As soon as a new leaf tries to come on the weakening plant there are 15 caterpillars. Of course none life.

One passionflower nursery gave me some bat wing passionflowers so the caterpillars would eat those instead of the other plants. This is a crock and doesn't work. The caterpillars eat every thing and then more caterpillars come.

Even the hardy native P. suburosa (cork screws) have died from the incredible Gulf fritillary attacks non-stop, there is no break. Once a plant loses everything it takes more energy to throw out the 2nd & 3rd sets of growth until finally weakened it just dies off.

Butterflies are nice. The only one I haven't seen be a sloth glutton would be the zebra long wing.

Point is anyone who lives in my world and tells you that the hordes of butterflies eating your passionflowers are not the same as lubber grasshopper damage to lilies is living in la-la land.

This week my old massive Lady Margret plant which covered nearly 30' of 6' tall fence appears to have been so weakened that the clean shaven stems are now dead.

I cannot keep the Aristolochia elegeans with foliage on it ever, and it is more delicate then A. gigantea. A. ringens which is not a favorite of swallowtail is under heavy attack and suffering. A. grandiflora eaten away there is no vines or blooms up the live oak.

Without spraying constantly these plants will go down.

One of the only passionflowers not attacked by caterpillars are some of the red blooms, such as P. cocciena which is a cool season bloomer.

I will note that this is also a constant problem with milkweed. It used to be that the monarch was gone by mid May and both the tropical as well as native milkweeds could recover. Not so the past couple of years the monarchs are not leaving in May but are now year round. While not as many in the summer it is difficult without constantly spraying to keep the monarchs at bay. The milkweeds like the passionflowers, and dutchmans pipe will succumb quickly without control. Looking at a shredded milkweed stem and it has 8 caterpillars but only 3 tiny little leaves half eaten isn't a very successful way for a species to repopulate itself, however butterflies seem to go for the population mentality that no matter how many young are on a stem we will will lay more eggs so that none of the next generation survives due to lack of food or even a living plant.

Maybe I have more butterflies around then the average gardenere, I don't know? But you want to see big cool looking vines go down quick. One day covered in huge flowers and then a month later,, just brown dead vines come I will show you and I will tell you that any butterfly gardener that tells you there is no worry of the plants falling without spraying is crazy in my neck of the woods

The butterflies win and now can go somewhere else to find a meal, let all these plants I love die and I will replace with some thing butterfly proof.

My rant is over... I will not be a slave to having to spray BT every week the rest of my life in the garden. Not worth it even for beautiful plants.

Comments (8)