SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmp2z

Butterfly Garden Help!

hmp2z
16 years ago

Hi! We are moving in this coming weekend, so we've gotten serious about our yard. I love our yard! It's a jungle still, but I think that it has great potential. We've just gotten the fence put in for our dog, so here is the view from our great room:

I have really wanted a butterfly garden for a while, composed of native Floridian plants. Right now, we have two small firebushes planted behind our house, but I want an actual butterfly garden. I picked up these tiny white picket fences from the Home Depot on clearance, and was thinking about using them to designate the butterfly garden area of our backyard. This would solve a few problems for me. 1. It would keep my husband from weed-whacking the butterfly plants accidentally. 2. We could tell our neighbors, "No, this isn't just an overgrown, unmowed area - it's a BUTTERFLY GARDEN - note the tiny fences!" and 3. It would keep our dog out of this area (she's short and old, but she does like to dig in sandy areas, and our entire yard is a sand pit).

So here are my questions, and I'm going to post photos to demonstrate. 1. When should I start sowing the seeds for the butterfly garden? Is it too late in the year for that now? 2. Does anyone have ideas as far as how exactly to use the little picket fences - design ideas, like shape, etc.? and 3. What should I do with the ground before sowing? It's extremely sandy and already has grass in it. Do I need to hoe up this area (this may be a silly question with soil this sandy, but I remember having to do a lot of hoeing in my grandfather's garden in Virginia as a child)? Amend the soil? Start the seeds inside the house and then plant? Or just sow the seeds in the ground and hope for the best?

Here is the area we're hoping to turn into our butterfly garden:

And part of this area (not all of it):

Thank you for any suggestions/ideas! I must reiterate how completely clueless I am. I've been to Biosphere and have some ideas, but the mechanics are baffling me at this point.

Cheers!

Heather W

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home Construction Journal

Comments (16)