SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

Tomato seed exchange

naplesgardener
15 years ago

I've posted my tomato seed list on the exchange page. I don't know why I called it "Fall 2008", guess I was thinking that's the season we're growing for.

Anyway...if you are in the mood and dreaming of tomatoes from your garden go look. Hope others will post their available seeds too.

Denise

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato seed offer

Comments (72)

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Hey you guyz! I will be glad to throw them stinken tomatos at anyone that wants to be smacked with em, just tell me who and where! I will be the guy wearing the hazmat suit, perhaps TWO of em to be sure none of that mato slime gets to me.

Thanks for the perfect name Linda, Mater hater! I like it

Just so all you mato heads know, I have selected TWO mato volunteers to be my plants for this fall. I already put cages on em and they are on their way.

Just today, I had been thinking of building a new hydroponic system, but the only reason I got into that before was for the matos. Sooooo there isnt much reason to bother with it, but I might. Then I would have enough of them matos to be throwing every which way.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Or Rony,dahling, you could always give them to mater lovers, Linda

• Related Discussions

Tomato Seed Exchanges?

Q

Comments (9)
    Tomatopalooza is most often in July and recently has been held at a picnic shelter at Lake Wheeler park. Either Craig or Lee will post the info on GardenWeb when the details are known. Craig has been out at the Raleigh State Farmers Market selling his heirloom seedlings and we talked about all of it but I don't remember if the date was set for this summer. My only involvement is that I submitted the name "Tomatopalooza" when they posted requests for a name of their event. I think it was also submitted by other people. Same thing happened to me when some friends asked for help naming their only son. The only rule was that his initials had to T. J. and they didn't want a Junior or II. I submitted Toe Jam and thought I was the most clever person in the world until they told me that out of 30 submissions THREE of them were for Toe Jam. By the way, they named him something totally boring and normal.
    ...See More

HAVE: Tomato Seed Trade

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Cheryl, I am interested in the Eva purple ball seeds. I will update my list and send it to you to let you know what I have to trade.
    ...See More

have: sase offer (open to everyone)

Q

Comments (19)
    Mary, I've set your seeds aside for you and have sent you an email with my mailing address. Here's what's available for anyone else that may want seeds: * Cayenne Pepper - lots * Celosia (2006 seed) x 1 * Cockscomb x 1 * Cosmos Pink x 3 * Cosmos White x 1 * Cosmos Yellow x 1 * Lavatera Tall Pink x 1 * Marigold Colossus x 2 * Marigold Scarlet Starlet x 1 * Mustard Spinach x 1 * Pulsatilla Purple Pasque Flower x 1
    ...See More

yotetrapper

Q

Comments (1)
    Extremely generous! Replaced seeds lost by the Post Office. All varieties I didn't have! Thanks so much!
    ...See More
  • SusieQsie_Fla
    15 years ago

Hey Denise
    I just want to thank you for the tomato seeds. I'm chompin' at the bit to get ready for the cool season.

By the way, did you follow up on the gardener in Iraq to see what she wants?

Tom, if you're out there, do you still want your squash and tomato seeds from Park's? I'm fixin to order.....and are you SURE you want this plant from outer space...........?

{{gwi:898930}}

Susie

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Susie
    I just sent you some more seeds, beans, flowers etc. (whether you want them or not lol).
    Yes I have followed up with the Fla soldier and she gets back in August. I've been holding her seeds so they don't get forwarded to Iraq and she's back home :-)
    I got several email from others who want to give her seedlings so she gets a quick start but she's way up in Jax and the offers were from way south.

If the Jax gardeners post a seedling exchange I'll make sure she gets the message. I'm sure we'd all like to help her get her garden growing.

About my seeds-I got a lot of responses and a few were from far away states. Just think, other states are reading Florida Garden forum. Along with Fla gardeners in Iraq.

Denise

• SusieQsie_Fla
    15 years ago

Thanks for sending the seeds, Denise!

Very cool that gardeners in other staes are tuning in to Florida....maybe they are planning their retirement. You gotta admit, this is one gregarious forum!

Last year I responded to a guy up in New York who posted here looking for a coconut. I sent him one and he sent me a daylily he bred. I can't wait to see the little baby bloom and I hope he gets a tree out of the deal.

Thanks again! Susie

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Susie,

Yes, I love broccoli and I'm on a quest to find something broccoli-like in taste that will grow well here in our heat and humidity. I'm also on a quest to find squash that will grow well here and on a trellis, and yes, I'll be trying the tromboncino's and have seeds to share....

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    15 years ago

Tom, You might like to consider chayote squash. You cook it similar to zucchini. The flavor is very mild and it is a vining plant that needs a big trellis. They flower and produce "fruit" when the days get shorter which means they need to be planted in the spring. You can use one from a grocery store as a seed source.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

WHOAH!! You guys are way ahead of me. I only have 4 kinds of seeds so far. I was planning on ordering more seeds from Tomato Growers this week. I'll check out the exchange page for details. Susie. I really wish I had the room for that type of teepee. Still, it gives me some ideas...maybe do a bamboo lean-to on the side of my wall for the maters to travel up and over....will have to get with the construction Guru, Dennis first!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Cindee - better get busy ;-)

HFG - I just tried Chayote for the first time last week, sliced with onions and sauteed in olive oil, I loved it! Cathy, on the other hand says the jury is still out :-(
    I thought it was a great idea since it's so productive, but I'm not sure how I'd keep in under control on a 5'x10' trellis! Still giving it some thought though....

• SusieQsie_Fla
    15 years ago

Okay Tom
    I'm ordering from Parks when I get done reading today's goodies and I'm getting you:
    Madga Squash
    Veronica
    Whopper CR tomato

What is your address so I can mail the packets to you?

Susie

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

While you guys have been trading and talking about the upcoming harvest, my two volunteers are already starting to flower. They arent even up to the first ring of the ole mato cage but they are on their way.

Of course, chances of setting fruit are perhaps slim, but I dont put ANYTHING past these robust mato plants.

I 'think' these are Husky Red Cherries but from the looks of it, the main trunk isnt quite husky enough. They are too upright growing to be Matts Wild Cherry BUT if they are, they WILL BE Aborted!

Hope you all got your seeds ready to roll!

Tony
    {{gwi:898931}}

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tony-Those DO look like HCR's One of my fav growers. Keep em going and let us know if they make it through summer!! I ordered my other seeds today from TGS. I am ready to get growing tomatoes already!!I am moving about pretty good with just a cane and hoping to get down and dirty over the wall this weekend and clean up my tomato containers, ammend the soil and give them some mulch and fert to burn for a few weeks before we get the seeds going. I can't wait for mater season!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Tony - you back in the mater business? One small step for you, one giant step for us!

Cindee - I'm glad you're doing so well, now get back in that garden!

Susie - CYE ;-)

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Mato biz? Hardly BUT I was going to start a couple plants, not the 35-50 as before until I spotted these two lovely volunteers in the perfect place. I simply threw cages over em and put the couple seeds away. THAT'S the extent of it!

The key truly is to ignore em. Most plants are killed with too much kindness, usually consisting of too much water and fert.

Best of luck to y'all.

Tony

• teka2rjleffel
    15 years ago

I have thrown out most of my seeds since they were old. Like Cindee, I have an order ready for Tomato Growers. On it is Kewalo, Crimson Fancy VFFA Hybrid and BHN 589 VFFT Hybrid. Does anyone know these varieties and how they'd do in our climate? Or if someone has some of these I can order something else for the trade. I am really looking for medium to larger tomatoes (hubby doesn't like the small ones) and I'm also looking for determinate vines, since I have waaayyy too many roses on my tiny lot taking up all the sun.
    Nancy

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teka

The woman who owns Tomatogrowers.com would be a great person to ask. When I first started growing tomatoes in FL I called to place an order (in June or July) and she suggested Solar Set and a couple others and also told me to wait to start them.

Please report back here if you get an answer :-) Thanks.

Denise

• cindeea
    15 years ago

LOL Teka, "I have thrown out most of my seeds since they were old. Like Cindee, ......." Nancy, I had to read your post TWICE...Tomato seeds 'old like Cindee' can't be any good...lol lol lol!!

THANK YOU DENISE for your visit, tomato plants and seeds(really looking fwd to big zak) and all the other goodies and tastings you brought from PI Fruit stand.

I got my TGS order today and here's what I have a few of to share if anyone is interested.

Yellow Pear (Parents from Denise) YUM-O
    Sweet Baby Girl Hybrid(cherry-Parks)
    Sugary(cherry-Parks)
    Husky Cherry Red (cherry-TGS)
    Red Robin (cherry-TGS)
    Porter (TGS)
    Florida91 VFF Hybrid (pink-high heat TGS)
    Applause VFFA Hybrid (TGS)

Sprite-grape,(freebie from TGS) small space shorter plants good containered.

I also have a few cucumber (cool breeze hybrid) radish (Cherriette Hybrid) and carrot (sweetness II) seeds to share.

See the Tomato Growers Supply for more info

Here is a link that might be useful: TGS

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Nancy,

Did you know that some years back, some folks had found the location of a civil war battle field. It wasnt a large famous one, just where some action did happen though. They had found soldiers remains buried a few inches deep.

What they found on one of the soldiers was his wallet and in it some tomato seeds that were seemingly wrapped in a form of waxed paper. There were about a dozen seeds in this small packet of sorts.

Half of the seeds were taken in an attempt to grow them and to their surprise about 4 seeds DID germinate ! I dont recall what the plants grew out to be, but the fact that they even germinated was pretty exciting.

I would NEVER through seeds away. If I felt they werent going to germinate with a 100% success rate, I would simply add two seeds to each container to assure better chances.

Tony

• cindeea
    15 years ago

WOW Tony, that's an interesting story and observation! When I think of all the tomato seeds that survived the icy frozen winters in my dad's compost piles and even in his gardens only to be resurected the next spring without coaxing, you gotta believe they are one hearty plant!

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Hi Cindeeeee,

They may be hardy alright BUT they failed the germination test when I removed seeds from from tomato sauce. I tried bunches of em and not one germinated.

I tried canned mato seeds too, nope, not one germinated either.

They aint all THAT tough now are they!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Once cooked or raised to a certain temp, they are known to NOT grow.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tony, I hope I wasn't too harsh in my reply toward your stupidity over COOKED tomato seed germination. Please forgive me if I offended your puking tomato bird. Kristi-Coffeemom mentioned my abrupt reply (YOU IDIOT) on the phone this evening and far be it fro me to point out your (LACK OF SENSIBILITY) experience with processed tomato seeds. Please forgive me if I offended (HAH-YOU BUTT HEAD) you in any way. Let me know if I can help you (GAG) further. I have requested Felix send you his overabundance of seeds (HA HA HA!!!) So please be well and happy (in your own derelict way)! Love ya!

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Coffeemom SURE takes care of me! and I appreciate her alot.

I am now waiting to hear what she suggests that I accept for the damages done. Trust me, it wont be something small or simple.

She will be in contact with you.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

LOL! Tony, with you NOTHING is small...or so you say!

Hey Denise. I just tasted one of those Dr. Carolyn 'maters you gave me. Man are they good! When I eat a yellow tomato I am always expecting it to be sour. This has a rich slightly acidic flavor that is not really sour at all and very crisp. You know this one is named after Carolyn on the tomato forum, don't ya? Thanks so much I hope the seeds take for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr C Tomato

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Well, from the looks of these posts you guys had too much fun this weekend...I'd swear you all got into some fermented tomato products but far be it from me to point any fingers ;-)

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Hey Tom, where's your list of seeds, hmmm?? What you got to swap?

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee,

Doesn't it show up under my Exchange site? I have tons of seeds that need a good home....

Tom

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tom-sorry, I checked your exchange page, Thanks. How did Sun Master and Cherokee Purple do for you? Both are supposedly heat tolerant and pest resistant. I'd be interested in trying a few seeds of each. Do I have anything you want to try?

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee,

I have not grown either one yet. Just started a six-pack of the Sunmasters 7/6, potted up 8/1, and hoping to set them 9/1 just to see what happens - I'll dump a few pics at the bottom of this post. I'm planning to try the Cherokee Purple in the spring.

I've become a tomato seed junkie...have WAY more seeds than I know what to do with! Ultimately, I'm hoping to settle down to just four or five great producing, disease resistant, great tasting varieties for my SMALL garden but in the meantime the quest goes on and I must buy/try everything I see with a positive review here in Crackerville ;-) Having said that, yesterday I started six-packs of:

Yellow Pear
    Sweet Chelsea
    Black Cherry
    Dr Carolyn
    Husky Cherry Red
    Rutgers
    Jetsetter
    Big Beef
    Brandy Boy
    Beafmaster
    Tumbling Tom x 2 (great hanging basket gifts)

Obviously I don't have room for more than 2 each of these so I'm hoping we'll have a get-together sometime in September...I'll pot them up so they'll be 6-8 inches by then and ready to set.

I just counted the Sunmaster seeds, I have 29 left. How many of them and the Cherokee Purple would you like?

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful tomato seedlings Tom, mine are much younger, trying to catch up.

So you're going to have 66 tomato plants? lol.
    Even if you swap some of yours for other kinds you know you'll STILL have 66 tomato plants. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've been begging for free 5 gallon buckets all around town to handle my future tomato plants. I just got a call saying they have pine bark fines for my potting medium.Yay!
    Life will be good when I have big tomatoes ripening. November? December?

Now you and Cindee have to plan where and when to have the seedling swap. I'll definitely have some extras to trade.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Denise,

Obviously I'll be giving away more than I collect ;-) I'll have to give some to my friends down there for their garden too. Glad you found the pine fines; life is good when we're able to make our own well-draining mix!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tom, it would be neat to find a 'middle ground' for us all to meet and swap in September. If we can get a head count of those interested, we can set a date and place.

Just 4-5 seeds of each, Tom. I too have way more than I need. Do I have any you want to try? maybe I'll just surprise you with a seedling or 2!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee,

I'll send 6 of each. I really can't think of anything I want so just surprise me.... I started six six-packs of non-Bell sweet peppers a few weeks ago, mostly Italian types, Corno di Toro and Marconi varieties...you or Denise have an interest it trying any of these?

Our friends we usually stay with live in Englewood so anything in that area would be good for me.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tom THANKS for the 'Tom' seeds! I have no luck with peppers, so I pass. I have enough just to keep a few tomatoes alive! Today I was out cleaning up planters and raised mounds and beds for the upcoming tomato invasion. I also have a small raised box area I will plant some carrot and radishv seeds. Man, since I was laid up the weeds were really taking over again. Luckily all the rain we've had made them easy pulling!

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom
    Thanks but I already have a Corno di Toro (Rosso) going. Gotta save my spaces for tomatoes.

I can't host a swap although Englewood is certainly convenient for me :)

Denise

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Okay, perhaps we can hold a little get-to-together at my friends place if Cindee can come up to Englewood, I'll ask. Cindee, you want some Icicle radish seeds? My favorite since they're relatively hot and a lot of bang for the buck, plentiful, like a big white carrot. I have a jar full of seeds from Walpole in Okeechobee and they keep practically forever in the freezer.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Too late for response Cindee, you have spicy white carrots on their way too ;-)

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Tom, Englewood is a bit of a drive for me with my new bionic parts trying to settle in. I was hoping we could meet somewhere in-between here and there???

WHERE IS EVERYONE ELSE??? There should be more than me, you and Denise out there wanting to share tomato seeds, seedlings etc.

Tom, Dennis and I both LOVE sharp spicy radishes! Bring em on!! I have been surprised that the red ones I get at the store lately are really crispy and spicy...heh they are grown from my growing-up back yard in Michigan...Figures!

How can we get other folks interested in meeting??? I think it would be cool to meet some place we could meet over lunch?? What is 1/2 way or near that? More than an hour for me driving would be too much for a few months yet...let me know buddy! Denise, any thoughts??

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Okay, you two, or anyone else interested, come up with some place down there....

I have to tell you, the icicle's can get really hot. Last year on more than one occasion I burned my taste buds into oblivion for several days overdosing on icicles. There, the disclaimer is out of the way ;-)

• jaeoneder
    15 years ago

Denise and anyone else, I am new to the web site and would like to start growing tomatoes in S FL. I can not tolerate the store "tomatoes" any more! If I sent you a SASE would you send me some seeds? I prefer red tomatoes with an actual tomato taste:) Thank you to anyone that can help me start my tomato farm.
    jae

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi jae
    I looked for your email but there is no way to contact you.
    So it's up to you :-).
    Click on my name and find my email address so I can send you my snail mail address and then you'll have seeds.

P.S. Even if you don't want to give GWeb your email address due to privacy concerns there is a way to allow email to go thru GWeb, you have to select that in your profile.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

jae click on my page also to see my email address and ask for seeds. Would be happy to share.

Tom, Dennis is more excited about the icicles that I am!! He loves spicy hot-hot (heh heh, that's why he has me!)
    I have been kinda hit and miss with with radishes before. Do you have some sure-fire ways to grow them? I did pretty good last winter in a raised planter box. I am also excited about the Tom seeds. I have some Purp Cherokee already sprouting and I planted some of the Sun Masters this weekend. YUM is in the future.

Denise, the BigZac is doing great!! I think I lost Cuostralee (sp) though. I have Dr. Carolines, Black Cherry and Pear sprouting wonderfully! I really loved the Dr C fruit you brought. Oh yeah, I started some Yellow Pears from your orig plant last Sept! Can't wait till I can stop babying the plants!! lol

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Jae - check my page out too, I'd be glad to send you some seeds.

Cindee - you're too funny! You can't go wrong with the icicles. Stick them in anything and they'll grow...plant about 1/4" deep, rather than thinning plant about an inch apart. My experience is that they take about 45 days to harvest due to our warmer more humid weather, as opposed to only 30 days in the central cooler areas.

I got your seeds Saturday too, I'm excited to try them maters and Cathy's scoping out a spot for the flower seeds :-) So many maters to try, so little room :-(

• patty_2006
    15 years ago

I haven't planted tomatoes since i lived in NJ! If anyone has any seeds, I would love some.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Patty,

All you have to do is check out our Exchange pages, pick some stuff out and drop any of us a line....

Tom

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Jae, I got your email and am sending you a nice assortment of Cherry and standards. I hope they do well for you.

Tom, thanks for the info. When is the Bes ime to plant the rads? Too early, yet? (chomping at the bit here) I also have a small raised area I am planning to use with some carrots too. I just had a couple of the aesclepias pop up. My butterflies all love the orange/yellow butterfly weed, thought the pink/red one would be a cool addition.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Cindee,

Still too hot for the icicles, wait until 10/1 IF we don't get a rainy late storm month due to the hurricane season.

• jaeoneder
    15 years ago

Cindee-Thank you so much for sending the seeds, am anxious to see the varieties you sent. Denise and Tom-Just e-mailed both of you. I don't know how any of you decide on which ones to grow each year--there are far too many great sounding tomatoes. Jae

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Jae, I included a description and photo of each of the different seeds I sent you. I usually make my decisions based on data from the web - how the tomatoes grow, their yield and if I see they have done well in hot-humid climates. I also lurk over at the Tomato Forum to get some ideas. One thing to keep in mind is never dismiss or select any one tomato based on what someone else said it tasts like. Different growing conditions and the fact that everyone's taste is different are strong factors. I found some 'maters that have been HIGHLY praised by others (like Cherokee Purple) NOT to my liking and others that people pass off as bland, or not that special (My Husky Cherry Reds, for example) taste great to me. The Cherokee Purple was store bought and I could not determine ripeness. BUT I am still growing some seeds from it that Tom gave me. I believe in experimenting! Good luck with your seeds and let me know how they do for you! Maybe we can open up a tomato stand on Immokalee Rd this winter 1/2 way between fort Myers and Naples! lol

• jaeoneder
    15 years ago

Cindee,Thank you for the info, etc. I'm always open for new business opportunities and this one sounds interesting!
    Jae