SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaolin_gw

Does Mint Trump Everything?

shaolin
17 years ago

Okay. Believe me, I'm not naive - I know what mint can do. The one patch I have is in the middle of my lawn where it can be controlled by the mower. But we just put in a new fence (4 foot picket in the front and 6 foot stockade in the back) and I have this HUUUUGE space in front of the stockade that's just crying out for a nice big bed and I started to imagine how good it would smell if there was a large patch of chocolate mint in part of it. So I thought, what if I planted a whole bed of thugs? Chocolate mint, gooseneck loosestrife, Six Hills Giant Nepeta, bee balm, obedient plant... Maybe a honeysuckle climbing the fence? Do you think the mint would still crowd everything out? I need suggestions from anyone who has ever actually, purposefully planted uncontained mint and ended up with a bed of more than just mint, and anyone who swears that they know of plants that could hold their own with mint. The area gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun, it's backed up by a stockade fence.

I'm also considering the idea of growing chocolate mint as a ground cover - putting a shrub border and underplanting with mint. Anyone tried that? Or how about a mint lawn?

This is cross posted to the perennials and cottage garden forums because I'm hoping for wide range of responses.

Thanks in advance!

-Maia

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living