SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Which is cheaper for energy costs -- Propane or Electricity???

denninmi
15 years ago

For canning, does anyone know if it is cheaper, more expensive, or comparable to can on a propane burner as oppossed to using an electric stove?

I do several hundred quarts of stuff every year, mostly tomatoes, pickles, and some jams/jellies in pints and half pints.

I have always canned indoors on my electric stove. We don't have natural gas on my street, so that's not an option.

But, canning makes the house hot and sticky -- it's so depressing to have to run 4 burners on full-blast all day in August while cranking up the AC because it's 93 degrees outside. Canning season definitely runs my electric bills up, from an average of $70 most of the year to about $150 in canning season -- between canning, AC and dehumidifiers in the basement. And, I live in a very small house.

I was contemplating buying a 2 burner outdoor propane stove to attach to one of the propane cylinders (the larger size used for gas grills). I could do most of my boiling outside of the house, and not have all of that heat and steam indoors.

I've heard people comment that it's actually cheaper to can this way with propane than on an electric stove. Does anyone know if this is so?

Comments (10)