SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

Freezing Tomatoes - prep before hand

julia42
11 years ago

Most posts I read about freezing tomatoes seem to suggest freezing whole tomatoes, and doing all the prep after thawing. I was thinking about prepping my tomatoes before hand as I would if I were canning them, and I'm wondering if anyone has found this to be a useful method. I was planning on coring, peeling, chopping, and draining the tomatoes, and then freezing them in ice cube trays so I could just pop them into soups and chili. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea? Does blanching them to peel beforehand cause extra flavor loss or anything? My guess is that the reason most people freeze them whole is just because they freeze mainly when they don't have time to do canning.

My goal is to have a product in the end that I can use at a moment's notice, just like one would use a canned product. I'm giving up on canning - every recipe I've tried from my Ball book tastes way too acidic to me. I'm tired of wasting pounds of my best tomatoes on something that I don't want to eat, so I figure I'll freeze and dry. Just wondering if anyone's tried freezing in ice cubes, though.

Comments (7)