SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

First Foray into Pressure Canning today!

robin_d
15 years ago

Wow, after all the stress, worries, compulsive manual-reading and nightmare visions of wholesale poisonings from doing it wrong... well, it was easy to the point of being anti-climatic!

I used my 23qt. Presto for the first time today, swapping out the 15lb. counterweight for 3-pc. set @ 10 lbs. Good thing, really, because the 10 lb. weight was merrily "jiggling" away while the gauge never even reached 10 lbs (should have read at least 11 lbs.) Now, as a canning "virgin" I may have had it jiggling a bit too enthusiastically, but if anything I had my stock heated a bit hotter than necessary. With the weights I know that there's really no way I am going to under-process my food, so from a safety standpoint that's very reassuring. Finesse will come with practice. :-)

I have 3 qts. of gorgeous chicken stock in my cupboard, and another batch (made from 10 lbs of chicken wings, onions, leeks, carrots, celery, bay, thyme and pepper) in the fridge to be canned tomorrow. Feelin' pretty groovy right now. :-)

I did learn one very important thing though - wear gloves or mitts when you remove the lid, 'cause even a l'il bit of steam can BURN! (scalded a finger, lol)

To any other noobs out there - just DO IT!!!! :-)

Comments (3)