SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsutton01_gw

Help! I'm losing all my Hisbiscus plants!

dsutton01
18 years ago

I have a row of 8 hibiscus shrubs in the front of my house, all of which were planted years ago when they were tiny. They've grown to be a nice size, and have strong western exposure here in Phoenix, which can be quite hot and strong around this time of year. They're all on a watering system, and get watered daily. For the past few years, they've all been very healthy, and have bloomed regularly with large, beautiful pink blooms.

About a month ago, one of the shrubs on the left end began to wilt, and within a few days, all leaves were crisp, dried, and falling off. I was stumped, thinking that maybe the watering system failed on that shrub. I checked it and it was fine.

A week later, the shrub next to the dead one began the same process, and a day or two later, it appeared to be dead as well. I tested the flexibility of a branch on the first shrub, and when i bent it, it just snapped like a dead tree. I then began to think that the plants needed some fertilizer.

Meanwhile, the remaining six plants were big and healthy, nice green leaves, and no signs of any trouble. Just two days ago, however, I noticed that the shrub on the opposite end began to experience the same process, and it is now gone. One day later, the next one in (shrub number 7) is also beginning to go. It appears that once the process begins, it happens quite fast.

I am totally stumped, and not very happy to see my plants dying. I would like to keep what I can on the healthy center plants if possible. There has been no sudden or harsh change in environmental conditions here in Phoenix, and the watering continues as it has for years, so I don't know what to do.

Any help or insight is very much appreciated.

thank you!

Comments (8)

Sponsored