SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksrogers

Saved a honey bee colony

15 years ago

Yesterday, the next door neighbor was shrieking and had noticed a big mass of bees all clinging together just above her car. There were a few also on the ground just below the mass. They appeared to be honey bees, as they had the fuzzy bodies between the wings and head. I took a close look and was amazed at how they just made a honeycomb nest right there hanging off a maple tree limb. My cousin used to raise bees years ago and I trid to reach him, but because there were more houses built nearby his, he decided to stop bee keeping. I was lucky to find a guy in the local yellow pages that sells bee keeping supplies. I called him, and he came down about 20 minutes later to get the whole mass of bees that were about a foot across and almost 3 inches thick. While removing the whole colony, a piece of the hive (white honeycomb) broke off. I think the bees were accidentially relocated as there was a house a few doors down, that just had a new roof put on. The bee keeper/supplier was grateful. I wish I could have kept them, but I have no equipment to hold them in. The guy handled the mass with ease and no one got stung. He said they were all loaded with honey and needed to offload. Some fly in and out, some stay to build the combs, and some are scouts that wiggle and do the 'shimmy' when they find food. Saw all of that activity here. Before the bee guy removed the limb, he sprayed some sugar water on the bees to calm them down. I only hope that somewhere nearby there is another colony. I hate to see bees leaving my garden especially in early summer. At least these bees were getting a good home in the next town over. My Orchard Mason Bees are back into hibernation now, and will not emerge again until very early spring next year.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville