SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

How to maximize aromas of herbs? Culture techniques?

18 years ago

(I decided to cross-post this which I initially posted in the fragrance forum. maybe herbal forum might be more appropriate!)

There are several scented plants in my yard - lavender, rosemary, scented geraniums, mints, basil, eucalyptus, allium family plants, monarda.

They all grow great, but some dont have much scent. In fact, the scented geraniums seemed stronger at the nursery than they do at home.

I was wondering if there are methods to maximize the scents that these produce? Since many seem like mediterranian or dry climate plants, does keeping them drier enhance scent - or just stress the plants?

I suspect that techniques for the greatest, most lush, growth (ie, more nitrogen source, more organic matter, more watering), could backfire, reducing the scent for some (like dry climate plants) but might help for others (lush plants like mints and basil) - but who knows?

I read that the scented geraniums like epson salts. True? Why?

Is alkaline soil more likely to improve scent? Does using a poor soil improve scent, or just limit growth?

I checked the prior postings (in fact, I browsed all 22 or so pages of postings from this forum); forgive me if this topic has been discussed and I didnt find it.

Thanks for comments. Wondered what herb-growers would have to say.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County