SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Canning food with interruptions

pqtex
12 years ago

I try to allow plenty of time for canning sessions. I organize the tasks so that some prep work is done ahead of time, maybe the evening before, and the canning done the next day. However, I take care of elderly parents and my time planning sometimes falls through.

Certain foods can't really be prepped ahead of time, and I'm wondering how to do this the right way.

Potatoes: I can't peel them ahead of time because I don't want them sitting in the ascorbic acid water. I think I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to let things soak. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one. After peeling, they have to be boiled for a few minutes, then put in jars while still hot.

It doesn't sound like there are any convenient stopping places to do potatoes in parcels of time. If I boil them, and reheat them to can later, it seems like they would be overcooked.

Any advice on this? If I'm wrong about my info, please let me know. I planned on an all day potato canning session today, but family needs cut in to the point that I can't do a canner load of potatoes from start to finish. How would you do them?

Jill

Comments (5)