SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (picture heavy)

annafl
13 years ago

My DH and I recently visited Brooklyn, NY. Part of our visit included the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. I really loved it and took some photos to share with all of you. The weather was perfect and the day was wonderful. There are many types of individual themed gardens. The first we visited was the Japanese Garden. Much work is placed on sculpturing the trees. It was truly serene and beautiful. The birds were singing, and there were turtles and other wildlife in this area situated right in the middle of a busy urban area.

My next favorite was the Shakespeare garden. A cottage style garden with plants mentioned in the works of Shakespeare:

These bright red peonies were the largest I've ever seen!

The rose garden was coming into bloom. Some of the areas were spectacular, some will be in about two weeks. This is getting to the proximity. A bunch of knockouts around a water garden and arbors full of buds but no blooms yet:

Roses of all types everywhere.

Roses on a hillside, growing intermixed with companion plants:

The body of the formal rose garden from a hillside lookout point:

Another of my favorite gardens was the childrens' garden. Adults could peek in, but not go in. It is a veggie garden done completely by children and their adult helpers. Many of the areas had clover as a cover crop and other areas were planted with various veggies (their season is early yet).

In this area you could see the hill of compost they've made, and the newspaper that has covered the planting hills as their main form of weed control:

This is another childrens' garden called the discovery garden. It has plants that appeal to the senses. Arbors of honeysuckle, large allium blooms, etc.

formal waterlily ponds:

The cherry tree garden is past blooming but has beautiful lawns:

This conservatory is actually a gift shop and an area for planned events:

The many acres of the gardens have winding paths taking you on a garden to garden stroll:

I would be remiss if I didn't have a picture or two of the Brooklyn Bridge. An amazing suspension bridge with a rich history:

Finally, a photo of the Manhattan skyline (minus the twin towers) from the Brooklyn promenade. It was sickening to imagine how many people must have lined this wonderful vantage point watching the demise of their fellow beloved New Yorkers during 9/11. This is obviously still very fresh in New Yorkers' minds and it brought home the sadness to me again.

I never thought I'd like Brooklyn as much as I did. I'm so glad I was able to experience this very different sort of world.

Anna

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting