SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

My haul from the botanical garden sale

bihai
17 years ago

This is what I got from the sale today:

Clerodendron philippinense (3 gal, 4 ft tall, $20) a VERY unusual clero. the flower heads look like bouquets of miniature rosebuds. Never seen it before today

Cristia obcordata--looks like little striped butterflies. Very cool, been looking for it foe a while

ALocasia rugosa. Neat.

Macodes petola, one of the jewel orchids. Nice 4" full pot, $10

Sarcoglottis sceptrodes...VERY neat terrestrial orchid

Oncidium "Butterfly" (papilio x sanderae) in bloom $20

Passiflora trifasciata (the one with the 3 lobes leaves that have purple on the leaves)

Bulbophyllum grandiflorum "Hihimanu" in bloom, very neat otherworldly flower

Cirrhopetalum patilum...extremely neato

Dischidia ruscifolia

Dischidia? unknown (May really be a Rhaphidophera--shingler)

Passiflora coriacea

Aechmea "Jeanne"

a Crypt labelled "Zauber Fever" that I can find no data about

Quesmia unknown...will post a photo to see if ya'll can ID

Neotanthus "Cardboard" (very neato)

a small grabbag, Ortho Blaze and Neophytum Galactic Warrior...$2 each

Comments (18)

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

and no pictures? Shame on you

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Is that the same as Clerodendrum fragrans (see link)? If so, that one grows practically wild some places around here. It's cute, though, and very fragrant.

Ha! That Bulbophyllum sounds like it might have originated at H&R orchid nursery on Hihimanu street, right here in beautiful Waimanalo. ;-)

I think the Crypt is probably 'Feuerzauber', but I can't find a picture of that one online. Looks a bit like fosterianus?

xNeophytum 'Galactic Warrior' for just $2.00????? Score!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clerodendrum fragrans

• Related Discussions

Who went to the Botanic garden sale?

Q

Comments (8)
    I go to the sale every year ( my in-laws are big in the Cleburne Iris Society). To get the best selection onf DL you have to be there when it opens and know what you wanting...they go really fast. I got 2 (my usual per year of big $15 ones) Hidden Riches (yelow) and Bubbling Edge. One of the promenent Iris Sellers was selling all his stock at 1/2 the marked price - he only sells 2000 and newer - so this is a wonderful deal. I got Holly Kosmoly, Prince of Tides, Starring, Heartstrings Summer, Creme De Ore and another Rush Hour (my personal favorite). I spent $30 on DL and $14.00 on Iris...cheapest year yet for me, but I'm running out of room! ON a side note...I've been splitting my iris beds over the past few weeks, if anyone else is too and would like to trade I would love to hear from you. I posted under have on the exchange board, but my only responce was someone wanting me to attend their garage/plant sale ather than an interested person in trading. ~angie~
    ...See More

Autumn Garden Sale - Sydney Botanic Gardens

Q

Comments (6)
    Musa velutina Ensete ventricosum Rosa chinensis Aechmea blanchetiana rubra and a couple of other broms A few native orchids for by father Thunbergia natalensis Barleria micans Ceibea speciosa Rothmannia globulosa Alocasia odora Camptotheca acuminata and a few other bits and pieces I can't remember
    ...See More

Brooklyn Botanical Garden Annual Members Sale 2016

Q

Comments (4)
    The selection weren't wild as compared to my colorful visits to the farmers market, and the prices were on the steeper side generally speaking. Though all proceeds goes to the garden and afterall it's still for a good cause. Other than that, I have other destinations that stands on the top of my list to visit. This was my selection during the initial craze, but for some reason after analyzing my impulse, I just put them all back. Including the orchid! Figured I couldn't give the care it deserves. More other plants coming up..
    ...See More

Northern IL: Lily bulb sale this weekend at Chicago Botanic Garden.

Q

Comments (1)
    So...do tell - what came home with you, Linnea? A non-lily autumn for me this year (I had my spree of martagons last year) but my little seedlings are growing apace.
    ...See More
  • hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

Clerodendrum fragrans grows wild all over my property ,resembles a lace cap hydrangea good fragrance and butterflies like it. Average height is 6 foot tall and even a few are the cream leaf color.

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes it IS Clero fragrans! Clerodendrons are not all that common here in North FL, because everyone is under the (extremely misguided) assumption that they won't make it through the winter here. But actually they are some of the best perennials I grow. I have several different ones...ugandese, paniculatum, the one called Glory Bower vine, speciosum (sp I know), wallichii...I have incisum in the greenhouse til I find out if its hardy. I have a trade pending for minahassee from So FL. Now I have this one! I plant them in "problem" areas where I want a tropical looking fller in winter and just let them spread.

• bob740
    17 years ago

Bihai,I found a pic of your C.'Feuerzauber',in 'Bromeliads for Modern Living',pg.40
    Also,I'm posting a pic of what may be one I have that could be feuerzauber,as it had no tag,and looks like the pic in the book.
    Does your new plant resemble these?
    I never heard of the name tag on your plant,and it sounds like it may be a scramble of the feuerzauber,as Lisa suggests.
    Bob
    {{gwi:508751}}
    My 'Feuerzauber'??
    {{gwi:508753}}

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes that does look like it. I think its pretty cool. ALso the Jeanne isn't an Aechmea, its a NIDUMEA "Jean".

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

I think what you have is more likely straight C. fosterianus, Bob. I have not seen an actual plant of 'Feuerzauber' and the parentage is unknown (although it looks like it must be a fosterianus hybrid), but the one in the picture shows a bit of a greenish color change in the center zone of the leaf, and also a slightly narrower leaf than fosterianus. The description also calls it somewhat translucent, which fosterianus is not.

Hard to say, and I see that Dr. Larry has joined our group so maybe he can comment on it, but yours looks like a fairly typical fosterianus to me.

• drlarry
    17 years ago

Bob:
    I would agree with Lisa (Lisa: by the way nice to hear that you are still involved with crypts), I think you have the straight species C. fosterianus.
    Bihai's C. 'Feuerzauber' may be the true european clone to be imported since 1970's. It is still a very popular plant there. However, if Bihai is from Florida he may have bought C. 'Racinae'. Since 1950 or so this crypt. which is nearly exactly the same as the later european plant was produced by Mulford Foster in Orlando, Fl. Some believe that the German who introduced C.'Feuerzauber' renamed an import of Foster's plant or a variety of his crypt 20 years after C. 'Racinae' (named for his wife) was created.
    I have both and I think the Feuerzauber has a wider leaf and more red-wine color and less green than C. 'Racinae' which has definitely narrower leaves and a mixture of red, bronze and bright green colors with barring.

I'm new to this format, can someone tell me how can I attach pictures? Thanks.
    Dr Larry

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

Load pics to a free service like photo bucket and paste the tags in this chat area it will link us to your photos where ever you store them

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Larry, I use Photobucket, but I think there are others too. If you use them, they'll give you 3 lines under each photo: Url, Tag and Img. You can either copy and paste the Tag line directly into the message and the photo will come up as part of the text, or you can use the Url line in the space provided for a link.

As far as my being still involved with Crypts, I guess it depends on what you mean by "involved". ;-) You'll be glad to hear that after your last visit I did repot a number of the remaining pups so they're looking happier now. There's a few, though, that I'll need to get back from you at some point, like 'Richard Lum', so I hope you're taking good care of them!

• drlarry
    17 years ago

Lisa:

Stephen has become the President of the Crypt Society and has gotten involved much more with the crypts. This has helped a lot in handing the 1500 pots of crypts. As you probably have noticed, I still have a handful of your cultivars to register. It has been a little over a year since I have returned with the collection of your plants and they are looking well, but slow to multiply. Was hoping by now to work out something with Michael Kiehl of Michael's Bromeliads to start to sell some, especially as mail order shipments to northern hobbyists, but still don't have the quantity to get him setup.
    Are there any other than 'Richard Lum' wich I can get back to you at this time? 'Richard Lum' is already in the hands of a lot of growers from auctions at various shows. It has won me at least two awards at two different shows over the years.
    Thanks to HDD and lisa for the info on attaching photos. For comparison I have enclosed a photo of C. 'Racinae'

With love always,
    Dr Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:508749}}

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Larry, I don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but if you get a minute maybe you could email me and update me. Last I heard Stephen had moved west, so I'm surprised to hear he's gotten more involved with Crypts!

• bob740
    17 years ago

Dr. Larry:
    Hi,this is Bob,and I feel that I know you from your 'Consultation''s in the CSJ.
    Thanks for the ID confirmation on the 'fosterianus'. As one of the'northern'collectors you refered to,it was good news to read that you and Michael K. are going to be able to expand the cryptanthus offerings. We on GW think highly of Michael and his operation,and order from him often. Additionally,as mentioned in earlier postings,I assist the Staff at the Buffalo Botanical Gardens with the bromeliad collection procurement and maintenance,and currently are preparing an order for him that will be quite extensive.These new broms will be used to establish an all new display in a soon to be completed 'Epiphyte House'remodeling.I will post a few photos,to give all my friends here an idea of the building size,an also some pics of the damage that occured around the property during the surprise early October snowstorm this week. The report is that 80% of our areas trees were badly damaged by the wet 18" snowfall and winds,as the leaves were still on them,and the weight was just too much. This freak storm was caused by a 40deg.difference in the Lake Erie water temp. and the freezing air temp.,resulting in just the perfect conditions to give us so much snow in just 12 hours.Ironically,after it passed,the temperatures were in the high 60's,and all the snow melted away.
    Good to see you on GW,and hope to hear from you and enjoy any photo posts you may have for us.
    Some BBG pics;
    Front view of the Main Dome and the Fern house and right Dome building,housing the bromeliad collection .The left Dome [not in picture] is the one being remodled for the bromeliad and epiphyte collections.
    {{gwi:508755}}
    View from the South side,showing the Dome bldg.for the epiphytes nearing the completion of the new glass installation.
    {{gwi:508758}}
    Back side view of the 3 Domes...and a few snow piles.
    {{gwi:508761}}
    Typical tree damage in the last three photos
    {{gwi:508763}}

{{gwi:508765}}

{{gwi:508767}}

• drlarry
    17 years ago

Dear Bob:
    I presume that you are already a member of the Cryptanthus Society from your comments about the column "Consultation". What did you think about Stephania's article? Stay tuned for the new registrations from Thailand including 'Dennis Cathcart' and 'Lisa Vinzant'. I'm always open to articles by members as well as any grower of cryptanthus. If you would like to write something about your own growing situation or how you prepare for winter or spring or about other growers or gardens in your area, I would appreciate submissions. Don't worry about perfection, I will edit any material and get your approval before publishing it. I will also provide additional photos or drawings if you are lacking any apropos.
    I'm sorry to hear about the damage from this freak storm. After going through at least 4 hurricanes and close encounters in the last two years, I can appreciate the frustration when up against forces you can do nothing about, except clean up the mess afterwards.
    Will your "epiphytic house" have any room for terresrials? Maybe I can find and donate some cryptanthus species to the garden's collection.
    It must be nice to have a profession that you really enjoy. In many ways, I was sorry to have to give up my Family Medicine practice, but now it gives me time to enjoy my hobbies more.
    Dr Larry
    By the way what does BBG stand for???

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

I also Im sorry to see the damage, looks like us here after the rains(14 inches in 2 days) and more comng today and more tornado's. Just glad we didnt get another Rita here.

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

I believe its Brooklyn Botanic Gardens

• mike4284m
    17 years ago

Can't tell from the snow? lol. Its Buffalo Botanical Gardens.

• bob740
    17 years ago

Dr.Larry,and friends.
    Yes Mike,BUFFALO Bot.Gdns.it is. If it were Brooklyn,I'd be writing with a heavy Bronx accent.;))
    Dr.L,Stephania's article was very good,and so much like him,as we read his many postings here on the GW.And the photos were great too.I would go broke if I had access to all those bromeliads.If you get the chance,view some of his previous posts and photos here on GW,as they are excellent.He and I pretty much collect the same plants,dyckia,hechtia,cryptanthus mostly,so have much in common that way.He has said recently that he and I should live near each other,so we can swap plants instead of ordering the same ones.Good idea!
    As to submitting an article for the CSJ,I'll give it some thought and consider it.I could probably tell a tale on some of the challenges of getting bromeliads thru the winter months in doors,which is at least 6 months,and what works,and what does'nt. I'll get back to you on it.
    Yes,the epiphyte house will have many terresrials,so any donations would be very welcome.Just want to mention,being retired now,I'm a volunteer at the bbg,usually four hours a week,and assist the staff regarding the bromeliads.[I think the 'brom-bug' has bitten them,as they are really into them now].You can view some of my previous picture bbg postings to get a better idea of the displays.
    Glad to have you on the Garden Web.
    Bob

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions