SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Welcome all hill dwellers!

jeanner
17 years ago

Thank you i-village for this new forum!

I guess since I am the first one here I will start!

I am from SW Ohio. While most of Ohio is very flat, the southern part of the state is not. Our house is build on a ridge, with three sides that slope away from the house and one side that slopes toward the house. The back of the house is on a steep ravine that comes within 8 feet of the house. It is heavily wooded so we let it go "au natural" The front is more gently sloped but still a challenge to mow. The driveway is our biggest problem, it is steep also and drops off quickly on both sides. The last side is the side that slopes toward the house. It was scraped to create a flat area to build the house and erosion is a constant problem.

One of my challenges are finding plants that like it dry and look good when being viewed from the bottom. Unfortunately I am finding that most of the plants that I love are not good candidates for a hill as you see more of the stem than the bloom.

Another challenge is designing a garden that doesn't require long retaining walls. Not only is it expensive to build them, I prefer a more natural look. Suggestions?

I would also love to see pictures of what others have done with their hillside gardens.

SO how about you? What brings you to this forum?

Comments (36)

Sponsored