SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Polly Hill Sept. Visit

runktrun
17 years ago

Below are a few thoughts regarding a Polly Hill visit I am still trying to put things together but have reached a point that for practicality purposes I should ask who would be interested and your desires. It might be possible for some of you to make this a Saturday day trip but I must warn you it would make for a very long day and you would miss some of the other tours/talks. Again I have three guest rooms two with double beds and one with a single and a garage apartment that has one twin, double sleep sofa, and full size bed all dormitory style with kitchenette and television. I have two vehicles with a total of seven available seats.

Friday September 8th- I live approximately 30minutes from the boat so a typical pick up is one and a half hours for this reason I would love it if we could arrange for no more than two pick ups on Friday. I think we need to see who is interested and what their travel distances are before we set the times

Nothing planned to date it is dependant on arrival times.

Sat. am GW chit chat with coffee and continental breakfast 8:00am 9:15am

Saturday, September 9th, 10am to noon. Demystifying Mushrooms. Come learn to appreciate the beauty and diversity of mushrooms. Mycologist-explorer Lawrence Millman will lead participants on an informative mushroom walk through the Arboretum focusing on mushroom habitat, mushroom taxonomy (i.e., how to identify a particular species), and the ecological niche of fungi. He'll also address such nuts-and-bolts issues as: field procedures, guidebooks, foraging equipment, and the seasonality of certain mushrooms. Expect a fiery conclusion: Larry will ignite the mushroom used for centuries as both a fire-starter and a mosquito smudge. (Note: This walk will not focus on mushroom edibility.) $24/$20 for PHA members.

12:00pm -2:00pm Quick box lunch picnic then off to three near by nurseries for talks and/or buying. All three of these nurseries are run by wonderful people some of who do amazing talks but I have yet to confirm.

2:00-3:30pm Tour Polly Hill I spoke to the people at Polly Hill today and they are willing to do a private tour with a guide matched to our groups skill/interest level. The tour typically lasts one hour. $5.00.

4:00- 5:00pm Field Stone/ Red Barn Gallery or Landbank walk+ Chilmark Chocolates

5:30-7:00 Back Door Lobster box dinner watching the sun set at Menemsha Beach.

7:30pm  9:00pm Downtown Edgartown for glass of wine or ice cream.

I can imagine that this sounds like an over planned day but I thought I would throw a few things out and of course depending on the group we can modify.

Sunday September 10th

Bike 3-5 minutes or walk 10-12minutes or drive 2 minutes to breakfast at Katama air field (grass airport) for breakfast at the right fork (airport restaurant). After we eat we can walk/bike to examine some of the last remaining sand plains and discuss the rare wild flowers + invasive species (the state still continues to do an annual burn) and how all of our gardens are part of a chain. * Possible guide. Then continue on to south beach to breath in some sea air /quick dunk.

Back home for early departures.

Later departures take the Chappy ferry over 1st to My-toi garden , then trustees of the reservations tour of Chappaquiddick. Or private garden tours of a number of down town Edgartown gardens plus a visit to a nursery and talk.

I have a number of irons in the fire regarding talks but still need a little more time.

Please keep in mind that I like you are taking a leap of faith that this will be an amazing weekend spent making new friends with similar interests, and learning new things.

If you are interested in staying at my home there are two "primary needs" issues that we should discuss right away. The first being that no one in my home smokes and I would prefer if you refrained. The second is we have a large 100 lb 2 year old yellow lab that is free to come and go as he pleases. He is very immature and excited about new visitors and I can assure you that if you do not like dogs he will follow you around and try and change your opinion. Please note that he has never been on any of the second floor sleeping areas so if you have allergies you might find relief in the evening but we can not bored or lock him up during your stay. Other than that I want you to use my home as if it were your own, enjoy my library of gardening books, poke around my gardens most of my plants are labeled, or grab a bike and head off on your own, if you have a specific desire let me know I would be happy to try an make it work.

If you would rather spend the night at an Inn on your own please let me know I may not be able to help much in terms of cost but can certainly guide you in the right direction and if there are more than one interested in this option for practicality and fun purposes you might want to stay at the same place.

Nothing at this point is written in stone and I certainly would welcome input from those interested. Do you have a specialty interest? Would you be willing to talk with our group about your expertise? Do we want to bring a gardening book for a swap? Well let me know what you think. kt

Comments (29)