SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfoodfest

Crawfish as a pond dweller?

cfoodfest
17 years ago

Hi,

I have a pond that's about 4500 gallons. I've got a good amount of plants in there and the water quality has really stabilized over the past year or two. It requires very little attention.

I also have many fish in my pond. I would guess I have about 30-40 madtom catfish (only grow to about 6-8") which were in the pond when we moved into our house. And most recently, goldfish have appeared in the pond (I suspect they came in as eggs on some pond plants we bought). It started out with only 4 goldfish, but in a year they have already spawned and I can see about 25 or so fry swimming around. I don't feed the catfish or the goldfish (very low maintenance pond), but I suspect even so, the goldfish will quickly overwhelm the pond and we don't appear to have any natural predators that have taken an interest in the pond yet.

So, we order live crawfish occasionally (to eat), and I started thinking about the pros and cons of possibly adding crawfish to the pond as a new inhabitant and to help with population control of the goldfish.

Does anyone have crawfish in their pond with other fish and if so, can you share any pros/cons of having crawfish in your pond?

Thanks!

Comments (27)