SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boulder345

new pond - need advice

boulder345
17 years ago

Over the winter, we have had a water feature built in our yard. It consists of 1 small pond (6 ft x 3ft, ~12" deep) at the top of the feature. That is where the water is fed into the feature by two 1 hp pumps. At the bottom, there is a larger pond (20 ft x 10 ft, with a max depth 3ft  4ft). Between the two ponds there is a stream that is about 45 ft long, about 3 ft wide. The bottom consists of loose rocks and boulders. Initially, there is no organic matter in the pond.

There are two waterfalls  one is about 1 ft high (at the outlet for the smaller pond) and the other is about 3 ft high and drops into the larger pond. Therefore, oxygenation and dissipation of chlorine should not be a problem. I am in Boulder, Colorado elevation 5,600 ft, climate zone 4. The water will get full sun all day for 9 months of the year. I have no idea what to expect for summer water temperatures (summer days can get above 95 F for several consecutive weeks, but at night the temperature usually drops 30 degrees).. I have been told that during the summer, I can expect to lose about 1" of water per day to evaporation. In the event of an extended power outage, most of the water will gradually drain into the larger pond.

I want to put in plants that will over winter. Last winter, which was exceptionally harsh, the pumps were not running and the larger pond was not completely full, but it did not freeze to the bottom. I have a lot of questions:

- Which types of plants would be best?

- There is space behind the first waterfall (facing southeast) where I can place some plant(s). The waterfall is about 3 ft wide, cascading over a spill stone. There is about 9" Â 12" between the waterfall and the wall behind the fall. What kind of plant would be well suited to that spot?

- Are there issues that I should be aware of regarding the introduction of wild plants instead of cultivated ones (assuming the same species)?

- Duckweed (wild) is readily available in this area. Is it suitable for use in some of the calm areas?

- How much vegetation is appropriate for this environment?

Comments (19)