SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renee48624

New pond, needing advice please.

renee48624
15 years ago

It's been 8 years since I posted to this forum. I am from Michigan (zone 5) and posted daily for 2 years. I sold that home 6 years ago and dearly miss my pond that took me 2 months to dig and 3 ruptured disc in my neck. I am feeling a little intimidated by the new pond. I thought I would get some input before going further. Please advise and share any ideas, concerns or info that could help. I will post a photo of the pond so far.

I estimate that the pond will be around 2800 to 3000 gallons. I will have 5 or so 8" kio. I ordered a 4200 gph pump online. I am putting in a bottom drain in the deep end (3 ft.) and would like to put in a skimmer in the opposite shallow end (16".) I am going to put a 100 gallon settling tank ground level by the deep end next to the waterfall hill which will go into a 100 gallon bio tank then into a tank with my pump. ( A dock will go over all this that is accessible). The bottom drain will go to the settling tank than to the bio, pump, then up the back side of waterfall and into a 5 ft. round pond with lots of plants and rock. From there down a short 12 foot stream and back to the pond. Can I also run a pipe from the skimmer to the settling tank? I was told by the company who sold me the pump that this pump will handle all this. Does this sound OK?

I have not built any shelves yet, not sure on what I am doing for the edges of the pond. I am thinking 1' boulders or maybe flat sandstone. I have a lot of soil to move for the stream and waterfall yet. I want it all to look natural, not mounded. I have another home in northern Michigan with 420 different varieties of perennials, so the new pond will have a huge amount of plant life around it.

My liner should arrive today. 45 mil, 20X30. Bought on ebay for $239.00 and $100.00 shipping. I would like to build the drain and skimmer myself. Any ideas on any and all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Renee

{{gwi:230760}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County