SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff

Can You Suggest A Garden Plan For This Slope? (Pictures)

ponderinstuff
17 years ago

I live in zone 6 (Huntington, West Virginia) and I'm building a new home. I'd love to hear your design ideas for my sloping back yard. Drainage issues have been resolved since these pics were taken so I'm mainly interested in your plant design ideas.

I already know that I have a lot of clay in my soil. I've sent a sample of the soil off for testing but haven't received the results yet. The area won't get morning sun but looks like it might get quite a bit of sun for the rest of the day.

The pictures shown are the back of the house. There will be a 10 foot deck running the full length of the home once it is complete. My tastes run to informal cottage gardens or things that smell nice or attract hummingbirds and butterflies. I especially love plants in shades of blue and purple. I'm also considering a small pond-less waterfall near the back deck if budget permits.

The only ideas I have so far are to get a couple white dogwoods and some eastern pink redbuds and hydrangea to start. I also have a few large rocks that I could have the contractor arrange on the slope and maybe plant some Phlox around them. Someone suggested a garden path running up the slope with a bench at the top.

One question I have right away is, if I put my Dogwoods at the top of the slope with the Redbuds just a few steps down the slope so as to create a layered look, would the Dogwoods get too much sun?

I have no flair for design so I don't have any idea how to arrange the plants and trees on this slope. Can anyone suggest more plant choices for me and also some kind of design plan so I'll know how to arrange those plants?

Note: I don't care much for hosta or ferns or ivy. I'm not big on red, orange, or white flowering plants either although a little splash of one of those colors might be okay. I much prefer yellows, blues, pinks, or purples.

This last picture (below) shows the natural area at the top of the slope:

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES