SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibarney5

Planning next years garden. Need some suggestions.

11 years ago

This year was our first year at the new house and also our first year to garden. Well we had a few mis-steps along the way but we did manage to grow some tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and banana peppers. One major screw-up we had was tilling the soil up grass and all. The crab-grass and bermuda grass kicked our asses all year. That's another thing I discovered. We have those. Well anyways, we learned a lot of valuable lessons.

Well our garden still has a little life left in it, but the weeds have completely taken over and it's just a matter of time so I want to get a good head-start on next year. Few questions.

-Our grass is very invasive. Next year I plan to convert a much larger part of my back-yard into long-term gardens. What would you suggest I do to have much better success? I've done a lot of research about lasagna gardening, but have seen mixed reviews on it's usefulness against bermuda grass. What should I do then? I have ample access to sheets of cardboard. Would digging down a few inches and covering with cardboard work here? I'm not weary of using round-up outside the veggie garden, but I don't know if I would want to use it in the garden. But if that is what i'd have to do then I would consider it.

-Another challenge I face is a gentle sloping backyard. I don't know how well you can tell from the picture. It's not dramatic, but it does slope. My question is, at what slope should I plan to do a terrace garden? What exactly is the best/most inexpensive way to go about doing such a project?

I will post more questions as I have time. Work is calling me. Thanks for any responses. They will be much appreciated.

Comments (18)