SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Improvised Cold Smoker for curing meats & fish

aclum
16 years ago

Hi,

I happened upon the recent sausage making thread while surfing this forum. This post could go in that thread, but it was getting sort of long so I decided just to start a new thread on this subject.

I really want to get into charcuterie and I ordered Brian Polcyn's book - which I think is fabulous. I'd like to try cold smoking hams and fish, but can't really afford a dedicated smoker (like the Bradley cold smoker). Surfing the web, I came upon an ingenious system of using a tin can with the lid partially cut off (so that it can be opened and closed) with a cut out for a soldering iron. Apparently, you put the wood chips in the can, insert the soldering iron through the cut out, close the lid and place this in the barbeque with your items to be smoked on the racks. I can do this (we've got a Brinkman gas barbeque), but the problem is that in the summer we regularly have temps over 90-100+ degrees.

We do have an Amcor Portable Room Air Conditioner that we won't be using (had it for our old place, here we have central AC). Here's a link to the AC:

http://www.amazon.com/Amcor-ALD12000E-12000-BTU-Conditioner-Electronic/dp/B0009F592K/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1208643511&sr=1-21

The thermostat goes from 62 to 90 degrees. Any idea how I might incorporate this into an improvised cold smoker using our gas grill and the wood chips and soldering iron in a can technique?

Thanks!

Anne

Comments (4)