SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trillium15_gw

A few Newbie Canning questions

trillium15
16 years ago

I have been making homemade salsa, jams and pie fillings for the past few years and now that I'm moving up north to the Kawarthas and my DH has kindly told me that I don't HAVE to return to the workforce (my cheeks hurt from smiling at that fact) Retired at 35 yrs old! I'm looking forward to growing a larger garden on our 2.5 acres and doing a lot more preserving this year.

I have a few questions and have been reading a lot of posts so figured it was better to combine all questions in one thread.

1. How do you remove corn kernels from the ears for blanching & freezing? Do you cut them off?

2. Has anyone had any luck with the bushel plant cukes? They grow in a pot like a bush and don't climb. They are supposed to be great space savers and good for patio pots. Similar to the patio tomatoes that don't need staking.

3. any good french onion soup recipes? And if so, do you freeze them in ziplock bags or do you line the french onion soup bowls with plastic and then freeze them in that so they keep their form, remove them once frozen and put in baggies so that they plop right back into the bowls when you're ready to bake them. Also, do you include the cheese and bread/breadcrumbs when you freeze the soup or add afterwards before baking?

4. roasted peppers - an old colleague of mine who was italian used to bbq the bell peppers til they were black, wait for them to cool and then peel the skins, core them and slice them and then jar them. Anyone have any recipes for these? They used to be soft and marinated almost, great for deli sandwiches.

5. uses for pickled garlic? I make pickled cauliflower and always eat the cloves of garlic at the bottom of the jar but other than that, what good uses are there?

6. when storing apples and peaches for pies and tarts, does everyone remove the skins? Do you sprinkle withe spices and a dash of cornstarch to thicken as compensation for the extra juices when the frozen fruit cooks up? Is the cornstarch safe to freeze with the fruit?

7. Sun dried tomatoes in the food dehydrator...can I just slice them and marinate them before drying? If I put them in freezer bags airtight and freeze them, they should store right? or do I not need to freeze them if I store them dried in a jar in my pantry in the dark?

I think that's it for now. LOL.

I'm looking forward to growing corn for the first time this year. This will be my second year for soybeans (mmm...japanese edamame!)

Anyone used ground cherries before? Store bought or self grown? I hear they are sweet like a pineapple. Thought I'd try a bush this year and see.

Comments (3)