SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Herb drying with silica gel?

bejay9_10
14 years ago

I recently experienced a loss of quite a few onion scapes that I thought were dried sufficiently. Such a disappointment after waiting 2-3 days for them to come out of the dehydrator.

As a rule, I've had success with drying herbs and fruits, but occasionally there has been a bad mold after a couple of days in the jar. Some things are bagged and then frozen after dehydrating, but many herbs are just put into bottles in my spice cupboard - and these are the ones at risk.

Living near the ocean is a factor, I'm sure. However, I am wondering about the advisability of adding a silica gel packet to the jars immediately after drying, especially the more fleshy herbs and those to be dry stored.

I found a few of these packets - which I normally use in my seed saving collection, dried them in the microwave and placed into the latest herbs that were dried yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas about the effectiveness/drawbacks/safety factor, etc. using these silica packets this way?

Normally, these are used in air-tight containers, for moisture proofing things like cameras, binoculars, etc.

Bejay

Comments (6)