SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vall3fam

How about these canning methods? (((cringe)))

vall3fam
16 years ago

A co-worker stopped by my office this week to talk shop about gardening, which we do quite often. He gardens (farms?)on a big basis, like three acres. We got onto the subject of tomatoes and I told him I was going to try more plum/paste varieties this year to can.

He said he loves canning tomatoes and put an old stove outside his new house just to do this. He said he liked to put a big pot on the stove and put in whatever tomatoes were available that day and cook it down for a couple of hours and then pack it up into hot jars.

I then asked what process he did - hot water or pressure? His response was "what do you mean?" I said, "you mean you don't process them any after packing the tomatoes?" He said, "no, the heat makes a seal and tomatoes have enough acid to be o.k."

Yikes! I told him to not be offended if I turned down his offer of canned tomatoes. He said he had done it this way for years and never had any problems. I told him he was going to wind up killing himself but I don't think I made any headway on changing his opinion.

What do you think of this? ;>

Elaine

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES