SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melva02

Freezing store-bought jarred peppers...JT?

melva02
16 years ago

I bought a jar of whole aji amarillo, a yellow hot pepper, at a bodega. I don't even need one full pepper and there are about 5 in the jar. Can I freeze the peppers so I'm not keeping the open jar in the fridge too long? John/JT, if you have thoughts on drying them, I'm open to that.

I am going to use these to make causa, a Peruvian dish of spicy mashed potatoes layered with filling. Tuna salad is traditional but I'm going to do one with egg salad and one with olives. I've never eaten this before, but I wanted to make Peruvian food tomorrow because according to wikipedia February 3 is Pisco Sour Day, and I want to make pisco sours (Peruvian grape brandy, sour mix, and egg white).

I am also making ceviche with halibut, which has been frozen for 6 months, hopefully long enough to kill any parasites even at home freezer temperature (plus it's Alaskan and I bought it in VA so it was probably commercially frozen before). Anyway, I got mixed up about how many different kinds of peppers I needed and didn't buy aji rocoto at the bodega, so I'm going to use either aji amarillo, fresh jalapeno, and/or crushed red pepper in my ceviche. I also bought cancha corn to make the cracked salted kernels served with ceviche. Recipe alterations gladly accepted.

Melissa

Comments (6)