SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Gopher tortoise in the yard

KaraLynn
10 years ago

This weekend I finally spotted the gopher tortoise that dug a burrow under the rock edging along the back flower bed. The burrow been there at least a year and started out really small. It's in a really bad place that's much too close to the house but since I never saw the gopher tortoise I couldn't do anything about encouraging it to move elsewhere. The only reason that I knew the it was still there was the burrow just kept getting bigger and bigger. I finally spotted the tortoise grazing in lawn out back on saturday and was quick to put a couple good sized rocks across the entrance to the burrow. I then moved the tortoise to the very back of my property hoping it would get the hint a dig a new burrow. I ended up moving it back there twice on saturday but I'm not sure that it has given up on it's original burrow. There are signs that it's been trying to did around and under the rocks. I would be happy to have the tortoise in the yard if it would just dig a new burrow farther back from the house!

Comments (21)