SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brokenbar

Seed Starting/Saving/storage

brokenbar
16 years ago

I have been meaning to post the one topic about seeds saving and have just kept forgetting. Many of you probably know, but for others, I will tell you about my seed saving.

About 8 years ago, I bought about 300.00 worth of rare, heirloom varities of tomatoes and peppers. I have friends all over the globe so they assisted me in finding rare varieties in the country's they live in. I have a vacuum sealer. I stored all the seed in a vacuum sealer bag, in my refrigerator. I also covered the vacuum bag with a paper bag to keep out light. Long story short...I am still using those seeds 8 years later. Every year, including the very first year, I have averaged 90+% germination rates. I have read up on this topic extensively, and it appears that the seeds will just about store forever. I use my vacuum saver for a bajillion things and have found it to be one of the best investments I ever made (I am on about my 4th sealer in 18 years.)I keep mine on the counter and use it at least 2 or 3 times a week (I remember someone had posted a comment wondering if the sealer was worth the investment.)

Starting seeds...I drink only salt free carbonated water (Club Soda) from Walmart and I drink a lot of it. The water comes in a clear plastic 16oz bottle. I save these (with the caps) all year. I remove the lable. I cut around the top about 2" down, leaving only 2 small 1/2" spots not cut. I cut the bottom off. I slit the bottle down the side leaving a small area at top and bottom still attached. The reason for this is to allow easy removal with just a few small cuts to get the bottle off later. I insert a typical seed starting peat pot(the larger ones)with the potting mix and seeds already in it into the bottom of the bottle. I place all the bottles in a plastic starter tray. This provides optimum warmth, humidity for seed starting. I label the plastic bottle with a paint pen. Later, when I remove the plant and peat cup I ad a typical plastic marker to the peat pot. This method really aids the peat pots into holding together well also. After seedlings are about 4" tall, I remove the top section. I leave the bottom section on until ready to transplant outside. This is kind of hard to describe so if anyone is confused, let me know. Spring is just around the corner I hope! LOL Mary

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!