SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Help! I want to get more from my tomato harvest!

Donna
11 years ago

I guess these are stupid questions. I have been a gardener, home preserver, and cook for 30 years.

Late summer of 2012, I purchased a Victorio Food Strainer for the purpose of making blueberry juice for my ill husband. I found a video online about it where a woman was showing how she used her Victorio to make tomato juice, soup, and sauce. (Link below.)

She ran the tomatoes through her strainer, then strained the juice out of the sauce and canned both juice and sauce. I had started making tomato juice for the first time just the year before and would strain the juice through cheesecloth. And then I would throw away all the solids! I was just sick when I saw this video and realized all the goodness I had been throwing out!

Since then, I have been trying to figure out what other obvious things like this I had been missing all these years. For instance, I see references to seedless or nearly seedless tomatoes, and these are recommended for making sauce.

Last summer, I grew my first ever paste tomatoes, San Marzano. I got alot of them, they were beautiful, but I thought they tasted awful! They were dry and mealy and had very little flavor....what am I missing here?

I guess my question is this. Would some of you describe the following?

What you look for in choosing tomato varieties to grow.

The specific things you can: juice, sauce, salsa, etc. I realize now, that there are probably things I could be doing with tomatoes that I haven't, because I never thought of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen wizard!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio