SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Apple Grapefruit Jam or Marmalade

psittacine
15 years ago

I love the refreshing taste of grapefruit. Problem is I can't have it very often nor very much of it because of medication interactions. I am making Apple Lemon Marmalade today and while chopping up the ingredients last night, started thinking about using grapefruit instead of the lemon, in another batch. I appreciate a good tang to jams and have enjoyed some of the (store bought orange) marmalade I've tried. I've never made any true marmalade myself, and have read some posts on problems with getting them to set correctly. I think there would be no problems with getting it to set well since it will also contain apples, so is not completely a marmalade. Also, I use Splenda instead of sugar and Pomona's if pectin is called for.

I've never eaten grapefruit marmalade nor canned anything with grapefruit, so do not know how it reacts to being cooked. I am wondering if others have tried an apple/grapefruit combo in a jam or marmalade and how the peel reacts to cooking.. bitterness or diminished/heightened flavor etc. It would be so very good to be able to have the taste of grapefruit without the worry of how much to eat or forgetting to eat the other 1/2 to 2/3 segments that I have stored in the fridge.

I will copy/paste the recipe of Apple Lemon Marmalade I am using and would like opinions on substituting one whole grapefruit (or more?) for the whole lemons. And/or would like recipes others have made successfully.

Apple-Lemon Marmalade

8 cups peeled cored and diced apples

1 ý cups water

2 Tbs. lemon juice

3 lemons quartered and sliced thin

calcium water if using PomonaâÂÂs pectin,...as called for on their instructions

and omitting the packaged fruit pectin listed next

1 package fruit pectin

4 cups white sugar (or use Splenda as desired)

PomonaâÂÂs pectin - as per their instructions (instead of other packaged fruit pectin).

Directions:

Soak slices of lemon in the water overnight.

Pour soaked lemons and water into a stainless steel pan and cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes, or until peel is tender.

Add the apples (and calcium water if using PomonaâÂÂs) to the mixture and cook until tender, (stir occasionally) approximately 15-20 minutes.

** if using PomonaâÂÂs follow their instructions on adding pectin and sugars

If using regular pectin:

Stir in pectin and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.

Add sugar

Return to a full boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and ladle into clean hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.

Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.

Adjust times for higher altitudes.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor