SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

One way to check if plants will grow here

greenelbows1
17 years ago

When I first moved here I got to know a wonderful gardener who loved trying new and different plants that weren't the ones everyone else grew. She told me some ways to find out if something nobody else grew might do well here. It's always helpful anyway to find out where plants come from because it will give you some information about what conditions will please them, but there are some places where we don't have much chance of growing plants that originated there, and some places we have an excellent chance. If it comes from Chile or the west coast of the U.S. we probably can't--they have cool nights in the summer. Can you imagine cool nights in the summer? If it comes from the east coast of Australia we have a good chance, and also from Japan and maybe Korea and possibly New Zealand, but they have cool nights some parts too. If it say 'Meditteranean' probably not, and in fact most of Europe is not so likely. I think the east coast of the cape of South Africa is good. There may be some connection with east coasts as far as I can tell--maybe the prevailing winds are the reason. Do you have hints that help you choose a new plant?

Comments (13)

Sponsored