SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connie1946_gw

Rhubarb questions re: division? light? age?

18 years ago

I have a rhubarb plant comes up every year. It's probably over 15 years old. It was here when I bought the house and it probably just sprung up where it isa..because it is growing right against a row of bricks bricks over plastic sheeting that was placed on the lot line many years ago to "edge" the yard.

Si I imagine the roots will be speading under that.

It's also located about 6 feet from a huge lilac bush and about 5 feet from an apple tree. So it gets shade most of the afternoon.

I wonder if it would get bigger and spread if it was moved somewhere else. However I also wonder if that is a good idea with an old plant.

Should rhubarb be divided or left alone? When would that be done Spring, fall...now?? Is full hot sun best for rhubarb..or might that kill it?

Is rhubard a plant that has deep deep roots that will be difficult to dig out without killing it?

Lastly when a plant (any plant) is divided is the new plant considered an immature plant. In other words would it be necessary to refrain from picking the rhubarb the first year? Or is a plant from divison considered mature when it

survives the division and gives fruit or veg?

Dividing plants seems dangerous to me I guess.

This plant does give nice rhubarb every year...but only enough for perhaps 2 decent pies.

In Northern Wisconsin we stop picking our rhubarb

in June. (end of June I think).

Comments (4)