SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixmom

Stone Age-old Question, I know...soapstone vs granite

Chanin Gilman
6 years ago

I have read many posts on everyone's opinions of soapstone vs. granite. I am so stumped because each offers its own pros and cons. Currently, I am considering (Alberene) Churchill Soapstone or Honed Virginia Mist Granite. I have read that the honed granites can stain and even etch from acids while soapstone does not. On the other hand, I have read that soapstone will definitely scratch and nick while granite does not. I can't decide which poison to pick.

One very specific question I have for those who have NON-OILED granite is regarding what happens when oils hit the soapstone? I would prefer to leave the soapstone without any oil on it because I like the lighter, more rugged look. However, I am wondering what happens when I set my oily olive oil container on the counter or drip bacon grease? Will this leave obvious dark rings that do not easily wipe off? What are your thoughts/experiences on this? I'm especially interested to hear from those who have had soapstone for awhile. Thank you for your help!

Comments (43)