SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rvird01

I've got it made in the shade :)

Rhonda
10 years ago

After 5 years in Florida and every year saying that I wanted to create a shady reading nook to make it bearable to sit outside and not melt, I finally got moving. I spent the last 4 weekends clearing out the middle of a large clump of trees and pulling and digging up gopher apple and trimming branches so that I could walk under them. I know that it will be a lot of maintenance keeping the tree shots cleared and leaves from taking over. But this was a perfect spot and the soil was much better than my sandhill soil due to all the composted leaves.
I put down 2 layers of good quality landscape cloth for my path and topped with large pine bark nuggets. I wanted a woodland garden look. I added a resin wicker loveseat and end table. I couldn't find cushions and pillows I liked so I made my own with some gorgeous, 60's style outdoor fabric and tone on tone yellow and blue for the pillows. I'll be taking them in each night as i cant stand miildewy cushions.
So far, I've added part sun loving plants around the edges and full shade plant in the center. Little gnomes and hummingbird feeders as well as my windchimes add a little life. I need to make gnome homes and add some lighting in the trees and some path edging, maybe decorative small plates or colored bottles.
So far I am loving it. I know that it will get muggier, but it was 95 plus here this past week ans never go hotter than 80 on my loveseat.
I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Rhonda

Comments (24)