SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironhat

Shade, shade... I've gotta have shade. Ffor the summer only.

ironhat
15 years ago

Our family room is on the end of our rancher. It sits under a hip roof the entire 28' of it facing south. The two windows are energy efficient (low-e) and the ceiling over the room are insulated with 3" of f.glass, blown in cellulose which has compressed over the years and then, six more inches of f.glass over this. While the addition of the last 6" of glass helped a lot the walls are only 3.5" thick, insulated with f.glass and the exterior siding is T1-11. I've thought that a seasonal green giving semi-shading would help a lot but keep from making it a cave. Unfortunately, I don't know what would perform this function. I had invisioned anchoring wires to screweyes in the soffit and tying them off 'somehow' at ground level, at about a 30* angle. This mirage of mine would grow quickly up the wires (in a bout a week's time - LOL!) and provide a semi-shade to the wall. I actually hope that there's a better solution to my dilemma. A seasonal solution will allow the winter sun to do a little good. Sorry for the long post but I can't expect good solutions without giving good facts!

TIA,

Chiz

Comments (11)