SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

late spring garden

annafl
12 years ago

I had promised to post some recent photos of my garden, but I've been too busy lately. I had time today, so here are a few of the better areas:

From the back of one of the beds:

Early morning shot of the pond before the waterlilies opened:

My favorite seating area:

One of the views from this seating area:

Foliage near back property line:

Rangoon creeper smells heavenly!

Anna

Comments (34)

• amberroses
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lovely garden. So much space! It must be like having your own public gardens in your backyard.

• whgille
    12 years ago

Anna, very beautiful garden! everything is like a symphony of colors. You did well decorating your garden, love that rangoon creeper and everything else.

Silvia

• Related Discussions

HAVE: For trade or Postage

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi Kamil, glad I was able to get in on this ! Thanks so much ! Kamil, I just received my pepper seed order so I can send you a nice assortment. Sending you an email. Hyacinthoides hispanica (3 more trades worht) Hi Kamil, this is my lists of wants. 1. sassybutterfly_2008 2. Ishareflowers 3. nottougly 4. may0503 5. ellenp 6. rane_grow Ornithogalum umbellatum (blooming size) 1. amelia_pepper_lady 2. nottougly 3. Ishareflowers 4. Angelady 5. may0503 Ornithogalum umbellatum (baby bulbs, at least 15) 1. Angelady 2. may0503 3.ellenp 4. 5.
    ...See More

Disappointing Veggies-Need your Opinions

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks everyone, and Happy New Year! I guess I over ammended it. The soil was so sandy that I thought it needed all the help it could get. The Whitney Farms chicken compost said on the bag that it was well-composted and safe for the garden, but we all know we can't believe everything we read. Jean00l, I tested the soil myself with one of those home kits. I was surprised that it was so acidic, considering what I started with, but DH agreed with me that it fell in the 5.5-6.0 range. I do have a back yard composter that the city gave me, but I've had trouble getting the leaves and grass in it to break down, even though I periodically turn and water the thing. That's why I've resorted to bagged products. Also, the leaves are from the big ol' camphor tree in my front yard, and I've wondered if the oils in them were harmful to my plants, so I've hesitated to use what has decomposed. hopflower and lilydude, I had no idea that chicken manure had such a bad reputation. Rehabilitating this area has been pretty difficult; the previous owner of my property used it as a storage area for bricks, gravel, and scrap lumber. I've been at it for six years now, sifting out the rubble, but maybe I expect too much from it. Thank you susi so cal, for your kind words. I've looked at the drip system many times, and it all seems to be in good working order. The laser line is a bit of a disappointment. I find that to work properly the runs can't be very long, and both ends need to be plugged into the main line, or the pressure just isn't there. Now that we've had a few rains, the carrots have finally sprouted; perhaps I just wasn't running the water long enough. The seeds were from OSH and the Do-it Center, not mail order, and were purchased in August, but may have been old. They were Ferry-Morse, Lilly Miller, and Renee's Garden. Sandylighthouse, Kale is pretty, but what on earth do you do with it besides garnish a plate? Once again everyone, thank you very much.
    ...See More

Some late spring garden shots

Q

Comments (10)
    Rita - Yes my roses always get a lot of damage from winter and I have to cut them back quite abit in spring. Last year was the same and they still did well come July/August but yes, definitely late coming. I am excited this year as I planted some hardy roses that were bred specifically to withstand our rotten Canadian winters. One is from the Explorer series and three from the Parkland series. They are supposed to have little to no winter die back. I still love the english roses and the hybrid teas but they just don't like our winters very much. When I post pictures in July and August you'll see how much they will have grown. My daylilies are coming along but yes, they seem very slow this year as well. Our April was so cold and dry and now our May has been so cold and wet. I hope the summer is a lot better! Jason
    ...See More

Listing of Late Winter Spring Garden Shows

Q

Comments (4)
    Flamingo Gardens has its "14th Annual Spring Garden Event" March 20 & 21. Website says any and everything for your garden and patio. They also have a Orchid/Bromeliad Expo and sale April 3 & 4. Mounts Botanical Garden in West Palm has their Bi-annual plant sale April 24 & 25. Information on both can be found on their websites.
    ...See More
  • imagardener2
    12 years ago

Really lovely Anna, thanks for the photographs.
    I never knew Rangoon Creeper had a fragrance, guess I've never been near it in bloom although I thought I saw it at Crowleys once.

I see some bamboo peeking out too, my favorite.
    And your pond is gorgeous as always.

Denise

• chloe92us
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!! Beautiful!

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ladies!

Amberroses, we have an acre, but this side yard is the largest piece of yard. The front and the back are kind of shallow in comparison, and the other side yard is much smaller than this one. It's weird.

Silvia, we are trying to cover the electric meter with the rangoon creeper, but we need a better support for it. Maybe later on in the year.

Denise, the rangoon is super, super fragrant. I absolutely love the scent. In the same area is a large michaelia alba which is wonderfully fragrant right now too, so it is really overpowering at night and early morning... but in a good way!

Thanks, Chloe.

Anna

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Everything is so beautiful and natural... heaven.. thank you so much for sharing...

Though my question requires a very detailed answer but could you please just give few tips how to manage, water &/or fertilize such a large area optimally.. I can maintain a small garden but not as huge as yours..

Izhar

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

So that's where all the rain has been going!
    What a magnificent tropical paradise you have made.
    Very impressive!

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Anna, your garden looks lovely as always. You didn't seem to have much damage from the cold winter. Mine got hit pretty badly and I am still cleaning it up. I have small trees that died to the ground and I have to cut them back and retrain them. I lost the stemondinia (sp) completely and have to take it out. Now this dry spell, hasn't helped.

• starryrider
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You have put a lot of work and love into your garden and it shows.

• coffeemom
    12 years ago

If you invited me for tea, I'd never leave. Your yard is so beautiful and peaceful. I appreciate all the work you've done.
    However...my ragoon creeper smells like...well.. feet. The plant looks great and the blooms are pretty but the smell is awful and I'll be pulling it out. (FREE PLANT anyone?)

• jwahlton
    12 years ago

WOW. That is stunning.

• sis3
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I hope you have the time to just sit and enjoy all you have created!

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you so much for the nice feedback! We do love our garden and work in it as much as time and life allows.

Izhar, in answer to your questions. If you notice the plants on my property, the vast majority are either native or Florida friendly. Almost no annuals (water and maintenance hogs). I have 9 live oaks, 3 red cedar, a number of cabbage palms on my property. I also have an assortment of Florida friendly drought tolerant palms, a poinciana, and many other drought tolerant trees. I therefore have a lot of shade in my yard (good and bad), less need for grass, and a lot of built-in leaves from the oaks. In the first photo, the area behind the floss silk tree (also drought tolerant), which is also pictured in the sixth photo from behind, has no irrigation except at the fringes near the grass. Besides the above-mentioned trees, this large area has wild coffee, selloum, 3 very large beautyberry, a huge native cactus, night blooming cereus, ponytail palm, a large clump of variegated pineapple, a large clump of aspidistra, a huge dioon spinulosum, cardboard palms and coonties, bromeliads, and a few weedy perennials (tall pentas, justicia brandegiana (?sp), milkweed), for color. All of these are drought tolerant. In the front is thurnbergia battiscombei(very drought tolerant),rondeletia, flapjacks, and stapelia as ground cover. The dwarf chenille gets a bit of water from the lawn irrigation.

Under the huge oak is a large clump of aspidistra, russelia equisitiformis (?sp), flax lily and fishtail fern which get little to no irrigation. Close to the house I have another huge dioon spinulosum, an encephalartos, variegated aspidistra, and many cardboard palm. A clump of dwarf rhaphis palm too, and more thurnbergia battescombei, a few bromeliads, and some crinum. All of these are drought tolerant. I have justicia golden flame (colorful and drought tolerant, requires no care) here, and in almost every part of my yard. Close to the lawn, where there is better irrigation, I have coleus, tall pentas, justicia brandegiana, lantana, and begonias. Also jatropha, yellow shrimp plant, epidendrums, milkweed, variegated arboricola, firespike, and several large furcrea (all of these are drought tolerant). I could go on, but you get the idea. I put mostly drought tolerant stuff, and in areas with more irrigation I put areas of perennial color bunched together. In several areas of my yard that have considerable shade and the most irrigation, I do have impatiens for a punch of color. Sometimes I have to give those supplemental water, but really not often.

This brings me to the second point. If you look at all my beds and paths you see a thick layer of mulch everywhere. The paths are wood chips from tree companies, and the beds have thick layers of oak leaves. Every year we collect hundreds of bags of oak leaves (200-500), and fill up our beds with these. Because of this, in the last 5 years (since we moved here), our soil has markedly improved, has much better water retention, and we have many, many happy earthworms. This has minimized the weeding too.

The only thing in our yard that we fertilize regularly is the lawn (we have 4000 sq. feet total of lawn divided in two patches), the veggie garden, and the waterlilies. I fertilize with soybean meal from the feed store. Completely organic, and greens things better than anything (look at the lawn). It feeds the soil, too. I do fertilize the waterlilies with chemical sticks. The veggie garden gets compost, leaves, hay, soybean meal, and fish emulsion.

I have very few pests because I do little fertilizing elsewhere. Seriously. On occassion things get a little coffee grounds if they look anemic, or if I have any left, a handful of soybean meal to things that look like they need it. Otherwise, the yearly leaf mulch and earthworms feed the plants. The only place I fail at organic maintenance is- you guessed it- the lawn. It is not a large area, but twice during the summer we are applying allectus for chinch bug and sod webworm. Years we haven't, it's been a mess and a struggle. We are still not willing to give up the two patches of lawn, although we have markedly reduced them. I hate doing it, but of all the bad chemicals, this seemed the least harmful and the least in volume, and it keeps it decent. I feel guilt about this, but apparently, not enough to stop yet.

Katkin, I did have damage from the cold. Most prominent was to my philodrendon groundcover that covers the edge of my pond and that covered large areas in one of my beds. It looks awful. Another alternanthera groundcover suffered as well. Things are just starting to recover, but as you can see, I didn't show the pond in detail because I'm self-conscious about some edges showing. I am going to find something better to grow at the edge. It is a work in progress.

Thank-you, everyone, and Kristi, you are invited to tea anytime!

Anna

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Anna, it looks like a painting! I don't even see a fallen leaf on the lawn. Every single plant is perfect! Wow, wow, WOW! I am in heaven looking at these wonderful photos. So many folks - including me - will post photos of single plants. But very few are able to posts these wide, sweeping shots of an entire, breathtaking garden or yard. You can find blog after blog and post after post showing closeups of flowers or single plants. But very few blogs or posts with photos of an entire, impressive yard. What you have done is amazing!

Carol

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

Anna,
    It all looks just incredible....and we all know the amount of work it takes to create such art. Thanks for posting the photos - it makes me happy!
    To the rest of you all, I have been fortunate to be able to visit Anna's garden and it is even better than the photos. There are hidden treasures everywhere and it all flows together beautifully. A true masterpiece and I am grateful that she shared it with me and continues to share on GW.
    Hester

• fl_southpaw
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous. It's probably safe to invite Kristi because she's nice, but if you were foolish enough to invite me, I'd bring a tent and never leave. Just absolutely gorgeous.

Julie the squatter in WPB

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you, Carol, but it is definitely not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I took the photos the day after mowing, so it does look neater than usual. I also like looking at landscape shots as well as the intricacies of single flowers. Honestly, I don't have any fantastic flowers to show up close. Pretty mundane, actually!

Hester, you are way too kind. You've seen all the bad spots, tell the truth! Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I am learning a lot from you and your garden. I can't believe what you've done in one measly year.

Thanks, Julie.

Anna

• gardencpa
    12 years ago

Looks great as always! Thanks for sharing. My garden is coming back and I hope to take some pictures this weekend.

Melissa

• sandnat
    12 years ago

Anna, Your yard is stunning! Thank you for providing the names of the many native plants as I also plan on using them in my yard. However, how do I go about trying to plant under huge oaks where the grass is (st. augustine) already grown right up to the base of the oaks? Can that area be rototilled? I hoed an area under the canopy of one of the oaks and it took forever between pulling up the roots of the st. augustine grass and encountering the roots of the oak. It was impossible not to cut through the oak roots in order to plant the new plants. I am looking for any advice before I start a new section.
    Robin

• chloe92us
    12 years ago

Anna- I showed my 5 YO son your photos and he said "Mom, can we move to that lady's house?"

LOL, he's appreciative of beautiful gardens too! I'm really wowed, honestly.

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Melissa. I can't wait to see your yard this year. Hurry!

Sandnat, the plants are either native or Florida friendly. About the oaks- they are the most precious thing in my yard. Nothing compares. They bring height and structure...and blessed shade! I am very protective of them. My recommendation is to just hand pull grass that is within the first 5-10 feet around the trunk. What I did was use cardboard past that (I find that it is porous enough not to damage the roots at a further distance) and put maybe two inches of mulch over it. It should kill the grass under it within 3-4 weeks. Don't overdo it with the mulch as it could compromise the tree. Also, don't dig close to the tree and definitely don't rototill! Also, don't use roundup or any such chemical near oak roots or suckers! That being said, I went out to look at my oaks after your post and found that I have planted small things close (5-10 feet from the trunks). I was surprised I did. They all had fairly small root balls at the time so only small areas of oak roots were disturbed. I also have to comment that a big part of the beauty of a live oak is the trunk. I like being able to see that because I think they look more majestic to be able to see their whole structure, so that is another reason not to plant near the trunk. Maybe try to go out after a good rain and pull the St. Augustine grass by hand. Further away, use the cardboard trick. Neighbors' oak leaves make great mulch for under oaks and will keep them happy and healthy. Ferns are a good thing to plant near oaks. They are shallow rooted and play well with oaks. They will spread and cover ground on their own. They look nice under oaks also. Aspidistra is another similar groundcover for close to oaks. Bromeliads are great too. Please show us when you are done! We want to see.

Chloe, you have a beautiful garden of your own. It is great that your son enjoys seeing gardens at such a young age. Maybe he'll share your love of gardening. I'm still waiting for my kids to come around!

Anna

• keiki
    12 years ago

Anna your garden is just lovely, absolutely lovely! I don't know how you can get anything done inside.

I have had a ragoon creeper in a pot for a number of years never being able to decide if I should put it in the ground or give it away. Of course it is not happy and hasn't bloomed in a long time. I don't care for red but love maroons and pinks. Is yours blood red? I remember liking the scent, can you share your experience with your creeper?

Keiki previously known as lady

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh hi lady...er keiki...?Robin?! I still think of you when I work on my heliconia orange/yellow gyro. I think I got this as one rhizome from you and it is huge now and I've shared it with many.

I have never been fond of red in my garden, but now I have started mixing it in here and there and am enjoying it. I absolutely love the rangoon creeper. Now I have the double kind and I had the single kind at another property. If I had to do it over I would pick the single type because I prefer the flower shape, but both are just beautiful. You can see that the color is a little lighter than blood red, but not red-red. The buds are white, the first day the flowers are pink, and then they turn red. I think you should just close your eyes and plant the lovely thing. The fragrance is a personal thing, as you can see by coffeemom's comment, but I adore it. It will defoliate with a very cold winter, but its foliage is pretty and fresh even without flowers, and it blooms a lot. I say go for it!

Anna

• keiki
    12 years ago

LOL yes its me Robin. I had to change my name and I am always sad when an gw friend doesn't recognize me. I am glad you like the heliconia. I love the C skinneri you gave me it blooms reliably every spring.

One last question, do butterfly's or birds like your creeper?

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad the orchid is behaving for you, Robin. About the creeper- I can't say I've noticed butterflies or birds enjoying it, but it is in a strange area for that- next to a hot wall by the garage. I think you'll be glad if you plant it out. Really.

Anna

• FlowerLady6
    12 years ago

What a lovely bit of paradise you have there. It is lush, colorful, and oh so peaceful.

FlowerLady

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Anna for your detailed reply..

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, looking at these photos - it's like going on a Lido Beach or Sanibel Island vacation! Been to both places and just love the tropical beauty. Always wondered what those Rangoon Creepers were, they are all over the place on Sanibel. That's where I first saw the Royal Poinciana trees blooming. You are very blessed with your skills at creating paradise, as are many of the others who share at GW. I believe a lot of it is also very hard work and the ability to work with the conditions that you have, rather than to fight against them. That is one of my problems, trying to mold what I have into something it's not, but I'm learning the hard way, it's too cold here for the tropicals.

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Flowerlady, so good to 'see' you! Have missed your posts with your lovely garden. Wish you would show us again. Thanks for your kind words.

You're welcome izhar.

Ritaweeda, it's not skills, lol, it's trial and error! I do work hard with what I've got. Always wishing I could go more tropical, but know it's not worth the extra trouble and heartbreak. I'm getting too old to babysit plants. If they can't do it mostly on their own, they're not for me.

Anna

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Anna
    Had to throw in my two cents lol. I'll bet your "bad 'areas look ten times better thaan my good areas.
    What with the cold winter, drought, my treatments and general laziness most everything looks like crap even some of the weeds are suffering lol
    Bet those water lily are spectacular they are runaway my most spectaular flowering plants . I do have one advantage with a small above ground pool, I get to take in the aroma in the early morning. If calm it almost knocks you down lol To me one of the finest floral aromas right up there with orchids.Even the wife thinks its"good"
    while she thinks Amazon lily smells like "antiseptic"
    I moved the orchids you gave me out to the carambola tree though they survived the winter, sort of blah lol
    I lost a whole bunch over the winter in the shadehouse but
    my most interesting experiment" a Vanda hedge is doing great. Anyway, beautiful garden gary

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Gary,

I can't tell you how much joy your waterlilies have given me- and how many I've shared them with! Every year they are spectacular. I have never gotten close enough to them to smell them though. My husband gets in the pond to clean it now and then, but I pretty much stay on the edge. His sense of smell is pretty lacking, I guess, lol.

I would be so interested in seeing your vanda hedge. It sounds beautiful! Won't you please try to post a photo?

By the way, do you always get up so early or did you have a case of insomnia?

Anna

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Anna
    Since my "pond is above ground just by standing at the edge you're less than 3 feet from the WL. Aroma is one aspect of water gardening most people miss because the flowers are too far away. I had my Madagascar lace plants flower and the aroma was much like dead flesh . Had it not been in an aquarium I would have missed that lol!!!
    As to the "vanda hedge" an evil "friend" sent me some pix in the Singapore Bo gardens and they were growing them
    much like you'd grow grapes in rows supported by wires. Since I had bits and pieces of a dozen varieties I decided to try it between two queen palms I have a portable GH along with black IR light with thermostat .for cold weather. This is the beginning of the 3rd year and I have got fantastic growth but not many flowers. An unbelieveable tangle of aerial roots though lol From a distance it looks like the queens have a terrible plant disease. Not very photogenic I'm afraid ;lol I've added some epicatts and dry dends in the folds of the spent fronds also going to add some nepenthes mainly because I can't figure a good way to grow it. Whatever is being neglected, delicate,struggling will go there lol
    I visit 6 fish and plant related websites everyday spending at least 4 hours on the web . Have to get up very early as the wife will not allow this much time during daylight lol gary

• annafl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Even without flowers they sound very interesting, Gary. Lol, we share our computer also, so we all have our niche of time on it too.

Anna

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    Well, I think it's a fun experiment lol. A neighbor commented that the palms would be so much prettier if I'd remove all the "weeds" on the trunks .lol While she might have some insight into aesthetics I don't think she understands "epiphytes" lol gary

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21