SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

oh my goodness!

annafl
13 years ago

The jacarandas around Sarasota are just stunning this year. Some years they can go almost unnoticed, but this year they are spectacular! Like clouds of lavender. I've also noticed that the ligustrums and viburnums have had an incredible spring. My ligustrums have bloomed more and are more fragrant than any other year. They fill the yard with a wonderful scent. Usually I hardly notice when they bloom and I don't even think of them as blooming plants, more background greenery. My three jatrophas are also blooming better than they ever have, even in mostly shade, and are fuller than ever. The poinciana is full of buds. I am thinking these things actually liked the cold spell, or maybe the increased rain this winter?

Conversely, the heliconias and gingers are having a terrible time recuperating, the potato tree suffered from severe dieback, and the japanese fern trees completely defoliated and still look brown and terrible. Little green leaves are just starting to emerge. My orange geiger, two years old is dead, I think.

What has been different in your yard?

Anna

Comments (9)