puglvr1

Manatee Rare Fruit Council Tree Sale

13 years ago

Event: Manatee Rare Fruit Council (MRFC) Tree Sale

Date: Sunday May 15, 2011

Time: 10 am to 4 pm

Location: Manatee Convention Center, 1 Haben Blvd, Palmetto, FL

For further information visit our website at: WWW.MRFC.ORG

Manatee Rare Fruit Council is a not-for-profit organization introducing, propagating, and distributing the many rare tropical and sub-tropical fruits grown throughout the world; to educate its members and the public as to the merits of these plants; and to encourage and extend their cultivation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Their website

Comments (18)

• 13 years ago

Hi Nancy

It sounds like a very nice place to get fruit trees, I wish that I known it sooner. Have plans for tonight and tomorrow.:) But I sure hope to make it for next year, I can never have enough fruit trees, lol.

Silvia

• 13 years ago

Hi Silvia, I wish I could go too...but its quite a ways for me.

Silvia, its not tomorrow...its next Sunday (May 15th)...so maybe you can make it? I would love to get a few more fruit trees myself if I didn't have 10-12 I already have to protect and cover in winter! Let me know if you end up going.

• 13 years ago

I have a couple more spots to fill in my row of little trees - I think I am going to make the trip. I was reading the latest newsletter ont the website and this line caught my eye "Also, you should not throw out those mango seeds. Plant them and we'll graft them and sell them." I told my FIL, who has a mango started from seed, that mango seeds don't always grow into trees that produce mangos tasting like the seed donor and it was better to buy a grafted tree. Was I wrong?

• 13 years ago

Oh Nancy sorry for my error, I don't know why I thought the sale it was Mother's Day,lol
    I will let you know if I can make it, the other half has to agree.:)

Tina, when planting fruit trees in my yard I would rather plant varieties that I know they will produce well and I like the taste, since they take a long time to grow especially when started from seeds.

Silvia

• 13 years ago

I have to arrive exactly when the gates open at 10 and I have to leave by 1pm because after that I have to take a few kids to MOSI for Nick's birthday. He was 10 years old on Sunday!

I am going to look for a Kiowa blackberry, I think they have the lowest chill requirements. Maybe a pear and a lychee too. I have gone fruit crazy! :) What will you get Silvia?

• 13 years ago

Tina, first of all Happy Birthday to Nick!!!
    About the sale, I don't think that I can make it, Willy is going to be traveling for business next week.
    On the blackberry, if I was you I would look for thornless, a lot of varieties do well, I had them in Arizona zone 10. I have 1 now and is good , don't remember the name. Anything with thorns or spines in a small garden or around children or pets is not a good idea. You already have the bougainvillea.:)
    And remember my small yard I am trying to fit 1 or 2 of each fruit trees like Noah's Ark,lol.

Silvia

• 13 years ago

LOL...yes maybe it would be a little crowded to add more fruit trees to your orchard! Pinellas has only between 210 and 310 chill hours, and for Pinellas I am on the warmer end of that being close to the water. Kiowa has the lowest chill hours...but you're right...thorns in the backside while I water my garden put me right off the bougainvillea so I should see if there is a thornless variety that can fruit well under 300 chill hours. My whole life I've picked wild blackberries...it's weird to have to plant them because I live in such an urban area. I have to drive for almost an hour in any direction to see grass.

Once we went to a horse track near plant city where they have the state cross country races to watch my older son run. It was dark when we dropped him off. Nick saw black spaces where the fields were...and he asked "Mom is that water?" He had never seen unlit land before. Is that sad or what?!

• 13 years ago

Tina, if you don't find the thornless varieties, I can send you cuttings of mine, it is spreading everywhere but where I put it is okay, I only have mints in pots there. The berries are very good!

And I can relate to your thinking because where I grew up everything was growing wild, volcanic land on the bottom of the mountain was rich! And I remember my nephew asking questions when he came to visit, he also turn 10 this week,lol

Silvia

• 13 years ago

Oh Siliva you are such a sweetie!! I bet your childhood home was just amazing! It such a shame we didn't have digital cameras back then...we have to rely on our memories. Do I remember correctly that the volcanoes in Ecuador sometimes make the news due to activity?

• 13 years ago

Tina , I thought that you were my friend, lol, you make me sound like a dinosaur! but you are right I don't even have digital pictures from Arizona one of my last gardens.
    I lived about 15 minutes from the half of the world line on the bottom of a not active volcano but we have few and sometimes they make noise, at least not when I lived there. I also lived in Oregon across Mount St Helens and I just moved out when went active. Used to pick the best wild berries there.

Silvia

• 13 years ago

OMG I am rolling in the floor laughing! Now that I re-read my post it really does make us sound old - doesn't it. Oh well....it is what it is. You sure have lived a lot of places. You've been with us 3 years? Are you going to stick around?

• 13 years ago

A friend at work would like to buy a breadfruit tree; does anyone know if breadfruit trees will be offered for sale at the Manatee Rare Fruit Council Tree Sale? If so, let me know and I'll pass it on to him.

Something to do with a fascination with the movie Mutiny on the Bounty, I guess.

Bligh: What demands my immediate attention?
    Christian: Well it could wait until tomorrow, sir.
    Bligh: [quietly] What is it, damn you?
    Christian: The ship is sinking, sir.
    Bligh: Good.

• 13 years ago

The website doesn't list breadfruit

Apples (Low Chill varieties) Dwarf Mangoes
    Atemoya Macadamia Nut
    Avocado Malay Apple
    Banana Miracle fruit
    Barbados Cherry Mulberry
    Bay Leaf Monstera
    Blackberry Papaya
    Black Sapote Passion fruit
    Blueberry Pineapple
    Carambola Plantain
    Caimito Peaches (Low Chill)
    Canistel Pears (Low Chill)
    Cashew Persimmon
    Cherimoya Plum
    Coconut Pomegranate
    Figs Pummelo
    Grapes Raspberry
    Grumichama Rio Grande Cherry
    Guava Rollina
    Jaboticaba Sapodilla
    Jackfruit Soursop
    Jujube Star Fruit
    Kumquat Strawberry
    Longan Sugar Apple
    Loquat Surinam Cherry
    Lychee Wax Jambu
    Mangoes White Sapote

• 13 years ago

Sale is today! I'm on my way.

• 13 years ago

I got the Golden Dorset, Lou. Silvia I also got the Kiowa as everything else needed 350 chill hours. It bit Nick enough that he's sure to give it plenty of respect now just by carrying it to the car for me. I didn't want to pay so much for the olive or the lychee. I have the lychee that Sally gave me anyway, and a loquat or two as well from people. We'll see how they do.

• 13 years ago

Wow, I went and it was wild. There were so many people there and they were really spending the money. I picked up some grumichama (Brazillian cherry), black sapote, jabotica, and longan. I like to get things small and less expensive so I can have more things even if I have to wait longer for them to grow.

• 13 years ago

I mean "Brazil cherry" not "Brazilian cherry"

• 13 years ago

Tina,
    Very good on getting the Golden Dorset, I'm glad you saw my post. This will insure both your apple trees will fruit as they are pollinators for each other. I had to laugh at the Kiowa biting Nick, my wild blackberry plants also are vicious as I pick blackberries for my morning cereal.

Lou

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH