SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slopfrog

Anybody near Port Saint Lucie have a feijoa/pineapple guava?

slopfrog
11 years ago

After several years of watching my sad, lonely feijoa make flowers (quite tasty, BTW) but never any fruit, I'm pretty darn sure this one isn't self fertile! Does anybody in the Port Saint Lucie/Stuart area also have a feijoa that is blooming? Maybe we can swap some pollen and finally taste this fruit!

Comments (7)

• ibarbidahl
    11 years ago

I have 3 plants and even if not self fertile no fruit. The animals steal the flowers. LOL. I finally gave up and started eating the flowers, too. They are pretty yummy. Eventually maybe they will fruit. If not I have some snacks while i'm in the yard. *shrug* My shrubs are now 5 1/2 ft tall and I planted them 2 or 3 years ago. I have strawberry guavas too so if they needed cross pollination they would have that. Go figure. Maybe it's just a maturity thing or maybe just a timing issue.

??

Barbie~

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I live in Highlands County and have 2 Pineapple Guava. One is an almost 7 year old tree that blooms a LOT every year and have had only one or 2 fruits ever!! I have another one ( a bush) that gives me fruits every year (though not a lot)...I can't figure out why the large tree has never set fruits? I have even hand pollinated them and still NOTHING!! Now, I just grow it for its beautiful blooms...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Close up of the blooms...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

The bush that has fruited for me...

• ibarbidahl
    11 years ago

Picky dang bushes! I looked a little more in depth at the TYPES of feijoa and only one of them said anything about not pollinating well by itself.
    Guess we all got that one type. HA! Good thing that the plant is hardy and not bad to look at all by itself or we'd give up on them.

Like I said I've taken to eating the blossoms so at least I can say the plants give me something. :-D

• slopfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The blossoms remind me of marshmallows. But I hear the fruit is really good.

Of course, they said the same about strawberry guavas, and I ended up giving mine away because I thought they were so terrible!

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Same problem here, I bought 2 different varieties, so they would cross pollinate. However, I did not take into consideration that they bloom at different times!!!