SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juneroses_gw

Canola oil saves a snake

This A.M. as I opened the garage door on a mission to putter in the garden, a very small garter snake headed inside. Because it was small, I grabbed a broom to guide it back the way it came (oh how very brave I was!). Not recognizing my good intentions, it quickly looked for a place to hide and unfortunately ducked into a sticky trap I have in the corner. Alas, I didn't have to worry about where it was because it was firmly stuck in the glue.

I slid a small dowel stick into the trap to carry it outside. Now I had a sticky trap with a snake inside stuck to the dowel stick.

Thank goodness for Google. The website for the sticky trap manufacturer had no info about deactivating the stickiness but a Google search turned up mineral oil or vegetable oil.

I grabbed my bottle of canola and headed back outside. In its efforts to escape, the little snake was stuck even more. I gently poured a little canola on the side of the trap and lifted the end up so the oil would slide toward the snakeÂs body. After a short time, I noticed the middle part of the body was moving freely. I added more canola and being careful not to drown the snake in the canola, I let the oil slip around the head. More and more of the snake was freed and finally the oil worked its magic and the little bugger slithered away into the bushes.

It's free once again to eat and grow much bigger so it can scare the breath out of me at some later date!

Comments (13)