SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farm_newbie

Protecting kittens against snakes (bullsnakes to be exact)

farm_newbie
16 years ago

I'm new to farm life and since I've moved here we've been trying to attract cats. We finally had a mama cat give birth to a litter in our fallen-down barn. The kittens are two months old, wiened, and mama seems to have disapeared for the last week. So I've been giving them food and water and trying to get them used to me. They're active and healthy.

Today I went out to look around during the heat of the day, expecting them to be napping, so I didn't think I'd see them - and I didn't, but I saw a big bullsnake. I know they're not very aggressive, but I'm worried he might be hunting the sleeping kittens. My husband warned me not to mess with him, so I haven't. Is there anything I should do to protect the kittens? Do I need to worry or not?

My husband suggested moving them to our chicken-house, but there are some flaws in that: 1) the kittens won't let me pet them, let alone move them yet; 2) The chicken house isn't in much better shape than the fallen barn and its much smaller, so not many places to hide. My husband's reasons to think it's better is because it's cleaner and simpler, so less mice to attract the snakes, he built up some roadblocks to keep out dogs, coyotes, etc, and he made a protected sleeping place for cats there . . .

Any advice on the subject of protecting kittens, please help.

Comments (16)