SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Three Sisters

castorp
15 years ago

The idea of a three sisters garden--the native American technique of companion planting corn, beans, and squash--has always fascinated me. When I read that this style of gardening also involves growing useful herbs and flowers amongst the corn, I realized it might be a good way to save space. So, instead of planting corn in closely spaced blocks, I've spread them throughout my small veggie patch, but still left them close enough, I hope, for pollination. I've underplanted with squash, herbs, and flowers. Hopi limas grow up the corn. The corn is field type, not sweet (I use it for Mexican and Southern cooking).

These are a very old fashioned type of zinnia (I think the latin is Z. peruviana?). I was disappointed with them last year, but this year I sowed them more thickly and they look much better. (I read somewhere that Thomas Jefferson grew this type of zinnia). The squash is patty pan. Sage, thyme, and other herbs are mixed in, along with some self seeded wildflowers and marigolds.

I think the corn is also providing some useful shade to lettuces and other cool season things growing in the patch.

So far the experiment is working out. We'll see if I actually harvest some beans and corn.

">

">

">

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting