SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Three Sisters? Short Rows? Just bury it and pray?

chickencoupe
12 years ago

I'm in that zone of nowhere land.. Will it be cool all summer? Hot? Which current will influence us the most? But it will definitely be WINDY regardless. Poor dilapidated weedy garden has absolutely no wind break. Fortune befell me and willow cuttings are on their way. SO, I'll be good to go in ... four years.

Meanwhile.. I am a new gardener ... 2nd season attempt. I started late last year and quickly found I picked a heckova year to start gardening but BOY did I learn oodles with YOUR help, mind ya. But I'm BACK confused as ever.

This year I have a chance; not only for a seasonal garden but for succession plantings of

corn,

green beans,

squash

and okra in the back yard.

My goal: 1) GROW SOMETHING DIMMIT!! (learning, mostly)

1. Provide food for a family of four with no realistic ability to store excess but a freezer.
  2. Plant in the most favorable positions given the wind.
  3. Absolute seed-saving. I will be planting some heirloom varieties and want to get a handle of saving seeds.
  4. My ultimate goal is the most efficient gardening techniques possible. Certainly, the environment can even challenges the most reliable methods!

(My ultimate goal is permaculture so, yeah, I'm keeping things simple with this little quiz.)

Three sisters variety might be good for succession plantings to include the hotter section of summer?

Three sisters variety might be good for all plantings because of the excess wind?

Actually, I'm considering four sisters ... 2-3 corn plants in the middle of a well enriched "mound". I'll eyeball the size of that area because of direction and wind providing at least 2 ft square for each corn plant to root. Beans crawling up the corn ... the main purpose for these is soil enrichment as well as food. Then Squash circling these two providing cooling and living mulch for the soil. Last, I'll attempt to encircle the mounds with marigolds to help "do their thing" whatever that might benefit. (The Okra is just for fun and give me a reason to enrich the ground below them. But, heck, it's good food too)

or should I just plant four short rows of corn, boring squares of squash, extra marigolds and be done with it?

UGH The planning always kills me. If it weren't for potential soil-bourne diseases I'd just bury it and pray. I guess it is still an option.

Help?

Blessings

bon

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals