SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Questions From Gary on Using BIG Planters

manature
15 years ago

Gary, I moved your question to a separate thread, NOT because I didn't want to discuss it in my pond thread, but because I was afraid others might not see it there. And you need LOTS of input. What a great find!!

Folks...see Gary's question below:

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on Mon, May 4, 09 at 4:55

"

Marcia

Since you seem to be so creative will ask for your advice??lol

A neighbor gave me 3 planters 6,4,2 feet in dia x2 feet deep. Was thinking of stacking them up for a fountain but already have 4 water gardens. Next would be to use them

as planters for strawberries ,seasonal herbs.

The questions . How do I stack them up.? Figure weight from other levels would crush the lower level besides would be a waste of soil. Was thinking concrete blocks or bricks but suspect it would sag where not in contact. Maybe a disk on the blocks but made of what ,since it would be buried in the soil?? Suspect I will have to limit to two levels as 6 feet would be tought to plant.

Now the "creative " question. What to cover the exterior with so they don't look so much like "pots' They seem to be made of black poly like most nursery pot.

They do make paint that will stick to poly but that would just look like a pot of another color.

Had some suggestions to use hypertufa but would it stick to poly.? Would certainly increase the weight problem for sure. Another was winding rope around it but would require over 400 feet of rope for the large one alone lol Same problem with tile besides putting tile on a round surface.

So far am thinking of using the two foot on top of the 6

Would still be 4 foot tall but I think manageable.

Open to suggestions from anyone!!lol

One more ??. These came with mature palms in them for transplant . I was surprised that the nursery gave them to me. Are these made of some kind of degradeable material?? looks like reguler poly to me, No use getting to ambitious with someting that degrades. Thanks everybody!! gary"

Comments (12)